Belgium boss Roberto Martinez believes “it is clear” that Romelu Lukaku has to leave Manchester United this summer.
The 26-year-old endured a difficult second season at Old Trafford and has been linked with a move away.
The likes of Inter Milan have been reportedly showing an interest in Belgium’s all-time record goalscorer, who has netted 42 in 96 games since joining United from Everton in 2017.
However, he failed to find the back of the net in his last eight appearances of the season and was not an automatic starter under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Now Lukaku’s international boss, who was also his manager at Goodison Park, feels everyone may benefit if the player secures a summer transfer.
“It is clear that he has to leave Manchester United,” Martinez told Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws.
“It would be a good thing for both parties. It is now important that Romelu finds the right club.”
Any potential departure for Lukaku could form part of an overhaul of Solskjaer’s squad.
The Red Devils finished the season poorly and ended the Premier League campaign in sixth place.
Paul Pogba’s future is also in doubt after the France midfielder suggested he is considering “a new challenge”.
United’s recruitment has so far been limited to the arrival of winger Daniel James from Swansea as a host of other big-names continue to be linked with the club.
Provided by Press Association Sport
Know more about Sport360 Application
Pogba is taking time out to visit Korea and Japan as part of his sponsorship commitments.
In Tokyo on Sunday the 26-year-old midfielder indicated that a new “challenge” may be on the cards this summer. He then later admitted that he had been disappointed not to win any trophies with United, in pointed contrast to his World Cup-winning exploits with France in Russia a year ago.
“Obviously with my team (Manchester United) last season we arrived second (in Premier League), so we missed something,” said Pogba.
“I didn’t win any trophies with my team. But with the national team (France) it was obviously very good. Winning the World Cup made my season a good season, I would say personally, just because I won the World Cup.”
The midfielder was constantly linked with a move away last season, with Real Madrid his most likely destination. Los Blancos boss Zinedine Zidane had not hid his admiration for the French World Cup-winner, while former club Juventus are also believed to be keen to tempt him back to Turin.
Pogba, 26, told reporters in Tokyo on Sunday: “After this season and everything that happened this season, with my season being my best season as well … I think for me it could be a good time to have a new challenge somewhere else.
“I am thinking of this: to have a new challenge somewhere else.
“Like you said, there is a lot of talking and a lot of thinking as well. For me I have been for three years in Manchester and have been doing great; some good moments and some bad moments, like everybody. Like everywhere else.”
Pogba, who was at United as a youth before moving to the Bianconeri following a lack of opportunities, returned to Old Trafford for a then-world record £89.3m in August 2016. But he fell out publicy with Jose Mourinho while the Red Devils’ season ultimately ended disappointingly under new manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Although frustratingly inconsistent, the World Cup winner has scored 24 goals in 92 appearances for United and was named in last season’s PFA Premier League team of the year.