Former Real Madrid defender Pepe has arrived in Istanbul ahead of a move to Besiktas.
The Turkish Super Lig club confirmed the free agent Portugal international had arrived in the city with a photo and a statement on their official website.
On Tuesday evening Besiktas posted images on Twitter of the 34-year-old in a Besiktas shirt and signing papers, though a statement did not confirm the deal was yet official.
It read: “Portuguese international stopper Kepler Laveran Lima Ferreira (Pepe) arrived in Istanbul for transfer negotiations with Besiktas. He was greeted at the Istanbul Ataturk Airport by a large and vocal Besiktas crowd.”
Pepe joined Real Madrid in 2007, going on to win the Champions League three times as well as three LaLiga titles and the Copa del Rey twice before his contract ran out at the end of last season.
Alexandre Lacazette is undergoing a medical at Arsenal and is expected to complete his club-record move from Lyon on Wednesday.
Press Association Sport understands the Gunners are closing in on the signing of the 26-year-old France striker for a reported fee of £44million.
Lacazette has scored more than 20 goals in Ligue 1 for the last three seasons.
The fee would surpass the £42.4m paid to Real Madrid for Mesut Ozil in 2013.
However, the imminent arrival of Lacazette provokes questions over the future of Alexis Sanchez and Olivier Giroud – with Ozil’s situation also uncertain.
Sanchez, whose contract expires in June 2018, has been linked with Manchester City, Chelsea and Bayern Munich.
Speaking at the Confederations Cup, the Chile forward said he knew what his future had in store, but declined to reveal what it entailed.
France striker Giroud, meanwhile, has been linked with Everton, among other clubs.
Provided by Press Association Sport
Marseille have signed Brazil midfielder Luiz Gustavo from Wolfsburg.
The 29-year-old has joined the Ligue 1 side for a reported €8million after four seasons in the Bundesliga.
In a statement on their website, OM said their second signing of the summer would bring “experience, versatility and strength of character” to their squad.
Gustavo admitted it was a tough decision to leave Wolfsburg. “I would like to thank my team-mates, the team of coaches, the sports management, the staff and above all the VfL fans for a great time, which I will never forget,” he told the German club’s website.
“Even if the farewell is not easy for me, the desire to try out a new country and another league has become more and more popular with me during the summer break.”
Meanwhile, Leicester have reached an agreement to sign Sevilla midfielder Vicente Iborra, the Spanish club have announced.
The 29-year-old Spaniard is now expected to meet Leicester officials to discuss a contract and undergo a medical.
Reports have suggested Iborra, who played against the Foxes in the Champions League last season, will cost the English club around £12million.
Iborra, who can also operate as a forward, has scored 30 goals in 172 games since joining Sevilla from Levante four years ago.
He has won the Europa League three times and he captained the side last season. He has previously been linked with Sunderland and West Ham.
A word of caution after Seville's announcement on Iborra. They agreed a £7m fee with Sunderland last year..... #LCFC— Rob Tanner (@RobTannerMerc) July 4, 2017
A statement from Sevilla read: “Sevilla FC and Leicester City FC have reached an agreement in principle for the transfer of Vicente Iborra.”
Once a deal is concluded, Iborra will be allowed to return to Sevilla to bid a public farewell to fans.
Leicester have not yet commented on the development.
The La Liga to Premier League switch continues with Eibar defender Florian Lejeune completing his move to Newcastle by signing a five-year deal.
The 26-year-old central defender was on Tyneside on Monday to undergo a medical and the Magpies confirmed early on Tuesday morning that he had become manager Rafael Benitez second summer signing for a fee understood to be in the region of £8.7million.
A club statement said: “Defender Florian Lejeune has become Newcastle United’s second signing of the summer transfer window after joining from SD Eibar.
“Twenty-six-year-old Lejeune has put pen to paper on a five-year-deal with the Magpies, which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2022.”
Finally, Borussia Monchengladbach have agreed a deal to sign Germany defender Matthias Ginter from Bundesliga rivals Borussia Dortmund.
The 23-year-old, a Confederations Cup champion with the national team last weekend and a member of the 2014 World Cup-winning squad, will sign a four-year contract subject to a successful medical on Tuesday for a fee reported to be €17million plus add-ons.
“Borussia is committed to the German national team player Matthias Ginter of Borussia Dortmund, subject to the results of today’s sporting examinations,” a statement on Monchengladbach’s website read. “The world champion is to be presented today at a press conference.”
Dortmund’s sporting director Michael Zorc said they granted Ginter’s request to leave.
” Matthias Ginter approached us with his wish to leave the club because of the competition in our defence, and we meet with his wish,” he said.