Manchester City have missed their chance to sign Dani Alves after the Brazilian full-back instead joined Paris St Germain.
The 34-year-old decided to leave Serie A champions Juventus after just one season in Turin and, despite being linked with a summer move to Premier League side City, he has opted to sign for Unai Emery’s PSG.
A tweet from the capital club’s official account announced the former Barcelona player’s arrival on Wednesday.
Attack-minded right-back Alves, who won the Champions League three times with Barca, also claiming six LaLiga titles during his time at the Nou Camp, has agreed a deal running until June 2019 with last season’s Ligue 1 runners-up.
He told psg.fr: “I am extremely happy to sign for PSG. In recent years I’ve witnessed the tremendous growth of this club, which has became a strong force in European football.
“It is very exciting to become part of this great project. At every club where I’ve been, I’ve always given my best to help the team go as far as possible. Believe me, I’ve come to Paris to win things.
“I recognise the ambitions of my new club and the expectations of our many supporters around the world. I’m sure we’re going to share some great moments.”
PSG won four straight French championships before being deposed by free-scoring Monaco in May and, while they have been consistent in Europe of late, they are yet to make the semi-finals of the Champions League.
Alves’ former club Juve achieved as much and more last term, reaching the final in Cardiff only to lose to Real Madrid, but their declared intention to go one better in 2017-18 was not enough to keep the Brazilian in Italy.
When it emerged he was keen to rescind his contract as there were reports of strong interest from overseas, links were drawn between the Bahia-born defender and City, managed by his long-term boss at Barca, Pep Guardiola.
But PSG have won the race for his signature, leaving City still in the hunt for a senior right-back following Pablo Zabaleta’s release and subsequent move to West Ham. Tottenham’s Kyle Walker has also been linked with a switch to the Etihad.
Meanwhile, the Parisians’ president Nasser Al-Khelaifi added of Alves: “Daniel has not only been one of the best defenders in the world for a dozen years, he is also a favourite figure for football enthusiasts across all continents.
“His drive and energy will bring a lot to our squad and our fans will love his rage to always be conquering.
“By choosing PSG, Dani has proved the vitality and attractiveness of our project.”
Provided by Press Association
Know more about Sport360 Application
Former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy believes the club will make more signings this summer.
The Anfield outfit have made two signings so far, the high-profile acquisition of Mohamed Salah from As Monaco and a swoop for Chelsea youngster Dominic Solanke.
Murphy also claims Liverpool will resurrect a move for Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk.
The defender appeared destined for the red half of Merseyside earlier this summer but Jurgen Klopp’s side were forced to retreat and issue an embarrassing apology after it emerged that Southampton had complained about their conduct.
Liverpool stated their intentions to end their interest in the player but recent reports suggest that they may have another bite at the cherry.
Murphy speaks about his former side’s situation in the transfer window in the video below.
Mesut Ozil believes it would “hit the team quite hard” if Arsenal sold Alexis Sanchez in the summer transfer window.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger claims the Chile forward has not told him he wants to leave the Emirates Stadium, after Sanchez said during the Confederations Cup in Russia he knew where he would be playing next season but stopped short of announcing his plans.
Manchester City are reported to be ready to offer the former Barcelona forward wages of some £400,000 per week should he opt to push for a move ahead of the final year of his current contract rather than pen a new deal with Arsenal.
German playmaker Ozil, who himself has yet to commit to a contract extension, is in no doubt of the importance of Sanchez, who has been given some extra time off as the rest of the squad headed to Australia for the start of pre-season before matches with Bayern Munich in Shanghai and then Chelsea in Beijing.
Speaking in an interview at the launch of Arsenal’s third kit in Sydney, Ozil said on Sky Sports News : “I hope Alexis stays, but I do not know what the status is to be perfectly honest, but I value him a lot as a player and he is very well suited to the game Arsenal play. So from a personal view I would really appreciate it if he stays. However, it’s the player’s decision after all.
“It would hit the team quite hard if he left because he is a player who always delivers. It would be a setback to winning the title but in the end it is a player’s decision.”
Arsenal have already moved to strengthen their squad with the addition of France forward Alexandre Lacazette in a club-record deal from Lyon following the free transfer of left-back Sead Kolasinac from Schalke.
Monaco’s Thomas Lemar is said to now top Wenger’s wanted list.
Club captain Per Mertesacker, who is set to take over at the Arsenal Academy from the 2018/2019 season, believes the Gunners remain focused on bringing talent in rather than allowing key men like Sanchez to depart.
“We have a strong squad and we do not want to lose any players. Even in their final contract year we need them,” the German said.
“We cannot afford to lose them. If you’re talking about championships, then to keep our best player is the key.
“He (Sanchez) is a warrior on the pitch, and I think he wants to come back as quickly as possible because he hates holidays, he hates to calm down, so I am really looking forward to playing alongside him in my last season, and I think he thinks the same.”
The arrival of Lacazette, whom the club confirmed would wear the number nine shirt next season, has cast doubt on the future of Olivier Giroud.
The France forward is a reported target for both Everton and West Ham, although Gunners boss Wenger insists the 30-year-old remains part of his plans.
Giroud, though, will just take things as they come, with the squad as they prepare for Thursday’s friendly against Sydney FC at the ANZ Stadium.
“Honestly I don’t know (about my future). For the moment. I’m still an Arsenal player and try to be professional like I always have done and to prepare well for the next season,” Giroud said.
“Obviously, there will be more competition – even more than last year, but it’s always nice for a striker to feel the pressure.
“I always deal with it. I’ve been through some difficulty this last year, but always succeed to bounce back.
“I don’t know about my future, so can’t tell you more, focused on my pre-season.”
Provided by Press Association