Real Madrid have announced the signing of defender Eder Militao from Porto.
The 21-year-old centre-back becomes the first transfer since manager Zinedine Zidane returned to the La Liga club, and has agreed a six-year deal with Los Blancos ahead of a summer move.
A statement on the Real Madrid website read: “Real Madrid CF and FC Porto have agreed the transfer of the player Eder Militao, who will be linked to the club during the next six seasons, until June 30, 2025.”
Reports in Spain suggested the transfer of the Brazilian was worth around 50 million euros (£43.5m) after Real Madrid met a buy-out clause which was set to rise by another 50 per cent at the end of the season.
Militao began his career with home-town club Sao Paulo before moving to Porto during August 2018. The defender helped the Portuguese champions reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League this season with victory over Roma.
Borussia Dortmund have issued a warning to Manchester United and other potential suitors for teenage sensation Jadon Sancho.
The 18-year-old’s performances for the Black and Yellow have caught the eye of several of Europe’s leading clubs, including those back in his native England, which he left in 2017 having graduated from the Manchester City academy.
United have been linked with an £80 million move for the Englishman as they bid to solve a long-standing lack of depth at right wing, but Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc says the club are not planning on selling their young star.
“I’m far from putting a price tag on Jadon, but I will say that, even for the biggest club in the world, his transfer would be difficult right now,” Zorc told Sport Bild.
“Jadon will play at Dortmund next season and we are definitely planning with him.”
Sancho has scored eight goals and bagged 10 assists in 25 Bundesliga appearances this season, with his form one of the driving forces behind Dortmund’s challenge for a first league title since 2012. He’s also scored once and assisted one more in the Champions League, where the side were knocked out at the round of 16 by Tottenham.
The teenager also made his England debut earlier this season, earning his first cap in the national team’s 0-0 draw with Croatia on October 12, before making his full debut a month later with a start in a friendly against the United States.
With an ongoing dispute between the player and Inter over a new contract having seen Icardi benched and stripped of the club captaincy, there is a growing likelihood that the Argentina international is on his way out of Milan, with Madrid having been mooted as a potential destination.
According to the report, the La Liga club made contact with Icardi’s camp on Monday, the same day Zinedine Zidane returned to take over as manager, a possible indication that the Frenchman has identified Icardi as a summer transfer target.
Though Zidane refused to confirm what he had discussed with the Los Blancos hierarchy, it is expected that he has been promised the authority to make changes to the squad, along with a sizable transfer kitty, in order to convince him to return to the job he resigned from only last summer.
Zidane has a good relationship with compatriot Karim Benzema, Madrid’s incumbent No. 9, but though the Frenchman is having a prolific season, the club have struggled for goals since the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo last July, and thus are looking for reinforcements up front.
The 26-year-old Icardi is being viewed as a long-term option at striker by Madrid as well as several other leading European clubs, with Inter’s Serie A rivals Napoli and Juventus also said to be monitoring the Argentine’s situation at his current club.
Napoli have reportedly offered Icardi €9 million per season, plus €2m in bonuses.