Real Madrid make Man City star Raheem Sterling a target as part of summer overhaul

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Raheem Sterling is being linked with a move to Real Madrid.

Real Madrid are targeting Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling as part of a summer overhaul, according to the Mirror.

Sterling signed an extension with City earlier this season in a deal that runs until 2023, and is worth close to £300,000 a week. However, Madrid are reportedly unperturbed by the Englishman’s contract situation, and have made him one of their prime targets for the summer window.

Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane is a known admirer of Sterling, who was scouted by Madrid back in 2014, when he was just breaking through at Liverpool.

The 24-year-old is enjoying a stellar season as City remain in the running for an unprecedented quadruple, having already won the League Cup and currently leading the Premier League in their bid to repeat as champions. They’re among the favourites to win the FA Cup and Champions League, as well.

Sterling has 19 goals and 16 assists in 38 appearances across all competitions this season, and is drawing attention as a potential PFA Player of the Year and FWA Footballer of the Year winner.

For Madrid, Sterling is one piece of a larger puzzle that also includes targeting the likes of Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar, long-standing target Eden Hazard of Chelsea, and Tottenham playmaker Christian Eriksen.

A poor season has highlighted the deficiencies in the squad and having made a sensational return to the Madrid manager’s job this week, Zidane is now targeting some of the world’s biggest stars to help the team turn their fortunes around.

Most popular

Philippe Coutinho hopes to improve Barcelona performances, admits future is uncertain

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Philippe Coutinho

Philippe Coutinho hopes he has more to offer Barcelona but is not ready to shed any light on his future beyond this season.

The former Liverpool midfielder, who moved to Catalonia last January for a reported initial fee of £106.4million, scored in Wednesday’s 5-1 Champions League win over Lyon but has failed to establish himself in Barca’s first team.

He has been linked with a summer move back to the Premier League, with Liverpool’s fierce rivals Manchester United mentioned as a possible destination.

“In the last few weeks, months even, I’ve not been playing well but I still want to improve,” Coutinho told Spanish TV station Movistar+ after the Lyon game.

“I came to Barcelona to give my best. I live for the moment. You never know what the future holds.

“I am happy with my performance (against Lyon).”

Coutinho has started only 16 league games this season, scoring four goals, but has netted three times in the Copa del Rey – including a brace against Sevilla – while Wednesday’s goal was his second of the European campaign.

Ernesto Valverde

Ernesto Valverde

Coach Ernesto Valverde said at his post-match press conference: “It was an important game for him (Coutinho) as it was for everyone, our club and our team.

“I think he had a great game. It is true maybe this year he’s had some not great matches, but in some specific times he did well, he scored two goals against Sevilla.

“So, we expect him to get more confidence in order to give us his best. We are happy for him.”

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Real Madrid announce the signing of defender Eder Militao from Porto

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Eder Militao

Real Madrid have announced the signing of defender Eder Militao from Porto.

The 21-year-old centre-back becomes the first transfer since manager Zinedine Zidane returned to the La Liga club, and has agreed a six-year deal with Los Blancos ahead of a summer move.

A statement on the Real Madrid website read: “Real Madrid CF and FC Porto have agreed the transfer of the player Eder Militao, who will be linked to the club during the next six seasons, until June 30, 2025.”

Reports in Spain suggested the transfer of the Brazilian was worth around 50 million euros (£43.5m) after Real Madrid met a buy-out clause which was set to rise by another 50 per cent at the end of the season.

Militao began his career with home-town club Sao Paulo before moving to Porto during August 2018. The defender helped the Portuguese champions reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League this season with victory over Roma.

Real Madrid look set to end the current season without a trophy after the holders suffered a shock exit from the Champions League when beaten at home by Dutch club Ajax, with manager Santiago Solari sacked on March 11.
Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Related Tags