Jasper Cillessen agrees move to Benfica but Barcelona holding out for higher transfer fee

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Jasper Cillissen.

Barcelona goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen has reportedly agreed a move to Benfica, with the clubs now negotiating over a fee.

According to Goal, Benfica value Cillessen at €15million, while Barcelona are holding out for €25million, despite the Netherlands international having made just 10 appearances for La Blaugrana this season, and only 31 since joining on the final day of the summer transfer window in 2016.

That was the summer Claudio Bravio left Barcelona, but Cillessen has been unable to beat out Marc-Andre ter Stegen for the No 1 spot since then, as the German has developed into one of the world’s best goalkeepers.

The Dutch international starred at the 2014 World Cup as the Oranje reached the semi-finals, though the most memorable moment involving him at the tournament was when he was substituted for Tim Krul right before a penalty shoot-out in the quarter-final against Costa Rica, with the then-Newcastle keeper saving two spot-kicks to see Netherlands through.

Cillessen was left in goal for the shoot-out in the semi-final, as Louis van Gaal had used all three of his substitutions in that game, and the Dutch lost to Argentina with the goalkeeper failing to make a single save.

The former Ajax star has grown frustrated at his lack of playing time at Barcelona, and has been desperate for a transfer since last season.

If Barcelona and Benfica can agree a transfer fee, he may finally get his wish.

Most popular

Julian Brandt snubs Bayern Munich and joins Thorgan Hazard at Borussia Dortmund for €25m

David Cooper 22/05/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Borussia Dortmund have signed Julian Brandt from under the noses of Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

The Bayer Leverkusen player joins new signing Thorgan Hazard as well as German international defender Nico Schulz.

Brandt has 24 international 24 caps himself and has signed on a five-year, €25-million deal that will keep him at Dortmund until 2024, the club said on its website.

“I am someone who sometimes follows his instincts and for me a good feeling is important,” he said. “And I had a good feeling about Borussia Dortmund.”

Dortmund lost the title to Bayern on the final day of the season, finishing two points behind but Brandt is excited to be part of another challenge for the crown next season.

“I want to progress and Dortmund just missed the title, so there is room for progress,” he said.

Earlier on Wednesday, Dortmund confirmed the signing of Hazard – Eden Hazard’s younger brother – on a five-year deal from Borussia Monchengladbach.

“I am grateful for five great years at Borussia Monchengladbach and the wonderful memories,” said Hazard in a statement on Dortmund’s website. “Now was exactly the right point in time to take the next step in my career.”

The Belgian has scored 46 goals and provided 44 assists in 182 appearances for Gladbach.

Most popular

Man United contact Fluminense to begin negotiations for striker Pedro Guilherme

David Cooper 22/05/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Manchester United are interested in recruiting Fluminense striker Pedro and, according to Brazilian website Globo Esporte, have already made advances in an effort to begin negotiations.

It’s being reported that the Premier League giants have contacted the Brazilian club over the possibility of a deal being struck.

Pedro scored 19 goals in 41 matches last year and reportedly had a verbal agreement with Real Madrid, who would spend €20m for the transfer plus €5m in bonuses, but a cruciate ligament injury in September ruled him out for seven months and ended the possibility of a Bernabeu move.

However, the 21-year-old returned in April and has since impressed as he regains his old form, scoring twice in six games.

Fluminense’s presidential elections take place on June 8 though and the club are reluctant to make a decision or enter negotiations before then.

Pedro is set to participate in the Toulon Tournament where United will have a chance to get a closer look at him.

Most popular