PSG issue stern statement as Neymar fails to report for pre-season amid Barcelona links

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Neymar

Paris Saint-Germain said on Monday that they would take “appropriate action” after star striker Neymar failed to turn up for their first day of pre-season training.

The Brazilian forward has been linked with a move back to his former club Barcelona but was due back at PSG’s training ground on Monday.

A statement from the French champions noted: “On Monday 8 July Neymar da Silva Santos Junior was due to return to pre-season activities with the PSG senior squad.

“Paris Saint-Germain notes that Neymar Jr was not in attendance at the agreed time and place. This was without the club’s prior authorisation.

“The club regrets this situation and will therefore take appropriate action.”

In Rio, Brazilian media quoted Neymar’s father as saying that PSG “were aware” the striker would be absent.

“The reason (for his no-show) was known and planned for a year as part of his activities for the Neymar Institute (charity foundation),” said Neymar Senior.

He added: “We couldn’t postpone them and he will return (to PSG) on July 15.

“It’s as simple as that, no drama. PSG are aware and take part in the Institute’s activities.”

Neymar – who missed Brazil’s Copa America win in the last few weeks due to injury – joined PSG from Barcelona in August 2017.

He was banned for three games for lashing out at a fan during the French Cup final defeat to Rennes – and will also miss three European games for insulting officials after the Champions League defeat by Manchester United.

Most popular

Watch Joao Felix reaction to Cristiano Ronaldo 'comparison' at Atletico Madrid unveiling

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Atletico Madrid’s new record signing Joao Felix has vowed not to be weighed down by the impact compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo made in the city as he attempts follow in his footsteps.

The 19-year-old Portugal striker, who had earlier trained with his team-mates for the first time, was unveiled at a press conference by Atletico on Monday after completing his €127.2 million move from Benfica last week.

“Of course this is a great comparison, but Cristiano is Cristiano and I want to be myself,” said Felix when asked if he had spoken to international colleague Cristiano Ronaldo, who spent nine years with derby rivals Real Madrid

Felix will also have to deal with the pressure of his price tag, but he insisted that is not a concern.










Most popular

Al Jazira make impressive addition with Pyramids FC loanee Keno

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Ambitious new boy Keno is determined to write his name into Al Jazira’s history like “the Brazil legend Ricardo Oliveira and the African legend George Weah” once action gets under way for 2019/20.

Keno, 29, inked a one-season loan deal late on Sunday night from Pyramids FC to mark an exciting start to the Pride of Abu Dhabi’s foreign recruitment. The forward netted eight times in 32 top-flight run-outs after an Egypt-record $10 million arrival from Palmeiras during June 2018.

“I am excited for my new journey with Al Jazira and I am delighted to join this great reputable club which was the home to some of the football world’s biggest names like the Brazil legend Ricardo Oliveira and the African legend George Weah,” said Keno, who makes the switch after snubbing Arabian Gulf League runners-up Shabab Al Ahli Dubai Club

“I am fully aware of Al Jazira’s attacking play style and their commitment towards giving their fans a memorable match experience.

“Their playing style suits me and will help bring out my best performances and help the team to achieve the goals set for the new season.”

Jazira’s desire to improve on last term’s disappointing fifth-placed finish has seen the unheralded Streppel – who counts Willem II, Heerenveen and Anorthosis Famagusta among his former employers – replace fellow Dutchman Damien Hertog at the helm. UAE midfielder Sultan Al Ghaferi was landed on a free transfer once his deal at neighbours Al Wahda expired.

They have, however, suffered the blow of witnessing the highly rated Mohamed Jamal head to Al Ain.

Fresh addition Keno will join his Jazira team-mates for the first time during this month’s summer training camp in the Netherlands.

He brings plenty of experience having previously played for cubs such as Mexico’s Atlas and Botafogo.

HE Mohamed Saif Al Suwaidi, chairman of Al Jazira, said: “I would like to express my sincere thanks to Al Jazira higher management whose support was instrumental for the deal to come through. Their ongoing support to the first team and their continued efforts to ensure the success of Al Jazira is highly valuable.”

Keno’s compatriot Leonardo and ex-Arsenal attacker Nacer Barazite have already departed Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium. Cameroon midfielder Sebastien Siani and Ghana winger Ernest Asante’s continuations in the non-Emirati quartet are unclear.

Streppel said: “Keno will be a wonderful addition to the Al Jazira squad. He’s talented, has a good eye for goal and has good experience under his belt.

“I think he’s a player who will excite our fans.”

Most popular