Struggling to pick out the facts from the figures? Reality from the rubbish? Sense from the silly season?
We’ve got you sorted in our daily dose of the Transfer Predictor, where we round up the latest rumours with an analytical spin.
We sort through the most eye-catching transfer reports of the past 24 hours and give a balanced judgment on whether the move really will happen – and why, or why not.
Today’s edition features a Uruguayan hitman, a Bayern Munich legend and a former Bundesliga star returning to the league.
Atletico Madrid -> Loan -> Roma
Former AC Milan man Nikola Kalinic is set to join Roma on loan with an option to buy after one season, according to calciomercato.
WHY IT CAN HAPPEN
The addition of Joao Felix practically rules out Kalinic’s chances to feature for Atletico this term. Roma could do with a forward like Kalinic who has experience of playing in Serie A having lined out for Fiorentina and Milan from 2015 to 2018.
WHY IT WON’T HAPPEN
It is believed that Roma will sign the 31-year-old if they manage to sell out-of-favour attacker Patrik Schick. The Czech forward is on his way to RB Leipzig but with only three days to go until the transfer window closes, nothing can be said with absolute certainty.
TRANSFER RATING: 8/10
Sporting -> €70 million -> Real Madrid
Real Madrid could bolster their midfield by signing Portuguese starlet Bruno Fernandes, according to Mundo Deportivo.
WHY IT CAN HAPPEN
Madrid’s midfield is old, worn out and in dire need of an injection of young blood. Fernandes could be a perfect signing, now that Man United ace Paul Pogba has been practically ruled out. This should drive Los Blancos to meet Sporting’s valuation of Fernandes which stands at €70m.
WHY IT WON’T HAPPEN
There are no reports of negotiations yet for the 24-year-old. Madrid hence face a race against time to complete such a marquee signing before the window closes on August 31.
TRANSFER RATING: 5/10
Juventus -> Undisclosed > Paris Saint-Germain
Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic could be on his way to French giants PSG, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.
WHY IT WILL HAPPEN
Mandzukic could be seen as surplus to requirements at a Juventus side that already features Cristiano Ronaldo, Federico Bernardeschi, Douglas Costa, Gonzalo Higuain and Juan Cuadrado in attack. At PSG, he could be a starter until Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani return from injury.
WHY IT CAN’T HAPPEN
Mandzukic likes to think twice before choosing his next destination. He’s not known for taking hasty decisions and with deadline day on the horizon, he is likely to stay in Turin.
TRANSFER RATING 5/10
Know more about Sport360 Application
Corinthians striker Gustavo is now prepared to accept a “concrete proposal” to move to the Middle East after he turned down Arabian Gulf League offers earlier this year, according to his agent.
Gustavo, 25, has performed well back at his parent club in 2019 and is their joint-top marksman in all competitions on nine goals from 30 run-outs. This followed 30 strikes in 45 matches on loan at lower-league Fortaleza last year.
Such form has not gone unnoticed. An unnamed pair of UAE sides tried to land ‘Gustagol’ in the winter and a €5 million bid from Serie A-outfit Bologna was rejected this summer.
There is still hope, however, that a comprise offer of €6-7m – down from Corinthians’ €8m asking price – would be enough to strike a deal for the Brazilian before the transfer window closes in the Kingdom on August 31 and Emirates on September 30.
“Gustavo’s name is always spoken in this market, every window we receive requests and proposals,” said player representative Clovis Henrique of Ole Sport & Intermediacoes.
“Earlier this year, we received two proposals from the UAE but decided with Corinthians to stay in Brazil, since he returned from loan having scored 30 goals in the year and Corinthians wanted to use him.
“And it worked, today he is the top scorer of the team and was the highlight of the Paulista Championship. Now in this final stretch of the transfer window we are receiving a lot of requests from Saudi Arabia and the Emirates, we are waiting for a concrete proposal.”
Saudi sides boast an advantage in the chase because of the superior size of their foreign quota. They are allowed seven non-Saudi players, compared to the UAE’s four.
The impending deadline in the Kingdom, however, complicates matters.
Any successful move this summer for Gustavo by a UAE side would likely top the 2019 market-high €5.3m paid by Al Ain to Al Wasl for Brazilian forward Caio Canedo.
The PA news agency understands United have agreed a 10-month loan deal which does not include an option to buy, with the Premier League club retaining control of the 30-year-old who still has almost three years left on his contract.
Sanchez joined United from Arsenal in January 2018 in a deal which saw Henrikh Mkhitaryan go in the opposite direction, but his spell at Old Trafford has been a major disappointment.
The Chile international, who managed almost a goal every other game during his three and a half years with the Gunners, has managed just five strikes in 45 appearances for United.
Those performances were in stark contrast to his status as United’s highest-paid player, an issue which grew into a major headache for the club as they sought to negotiate contract extensions with a number of other members of their first-team squad.
That left Ole Gunnar Solskjaer keen to see Sanchez move on this summer, despite a lack of experienced cover in the squad.
With Romelu Lukaku having also joined Inter Milan on a permanent deal and no replacement brought in, United have only Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and teenagers Mason Greenwood and Tahith Chong in their senior squad.
Sanchez will hope to have more luck in Serie A, where he starred for Udinese earlier in his career before earning a move to Barcelona.
Further departures from United could yet follow before the European transfer window closes, with Matteo Darmian and Marcos Rojo among the fringe players to have been linked with a move away from Old Trafford.
Though United opened the season with a hugely encouraging 4-0 win over Chelsea, they were then held to a 1-1 draw by Wolves before Saturday’s disappointing home reverse to Crystal Palace, who had not previously won at Old Trafford in the Premier League era.
Provided by Press Association Sport