#360transfers: Falcao nears Chelsea loan switch

David Cooper - Writer 05:57 15/06/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Blue is the colour: Falcao.

Radamel Falcao could be confirmed as a Chelsea player this week with the Premier League champions in discussions with the Colombian.

– #360VIEW: Gareth Bale on way to becoming Wales’ greatest star
–  #360VIEW: Liverpool must stand firm on Sterling valuation
– #360TRANSFERS: Ten Ligue 1 summer targets

According to the Sunday Telegraph, the deal is 90 per cent done with the loan transfer only being held up by negotiations over Chelsea’s contribution to his €360,000-a-week (Dh1.5m) wages at Monaco.

Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev was in London over the weekend to hold talks with the Premier League champions. If the move is finalised, Falcao will be reunited with Diego Costa who he played alongside at Atletico Madrid.

The 29-year-old also shares agent Jorge Mendes with Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho who last week said: “If I can help Falcao reach his level again, I will do it. It hurts me that people in England think that the real Falcao is the one we saw at Manchester United.”

Chelsea are in need of reinforcements in the final third of the pitch as Costa’s outstanding start to the season became clouded by constant hamstring trouble.

Didier Drogba has been released by the club while their are doubts over Loic Remy’s future with West Ham keen to sign the French international.

Falcao scored four goals in 26 league appearances for Manchester United and looked shorn of all confidence as the season wore on. United refused to take up their €60m (Dh247m) option to sign the striker on a permanent deal.

Falcao is in Chile with the Colombia squad and was quizzed on his disappointing campaign before last night’s match against Venezuela.

“Falcao was always there,” he said. “It depends what criteria you are using. People said I was not on the field and not scoring goals. The speculation is not true. I am calm. Today Falcao is a more complete player.” 

Mourinho is also reportedly close to agreeing a new contract at Stamford Bridge. The Portuguese’s current deal runs until 2017 but he is poised, along with assistants Rui Faria and Silvino Louro, to agree a new two-year extension until 2019.

Know more about Sport360 Application

Recommended

Most popular

Mihajlovic confident of Milan job, Warburton set for Rangers

Sport360 staff 05:35 15/06/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Moving on up: Mihajlovic.

A brief round-up the latest transfer news from across Europe, with managerial changes at AC Milan and Rangers at the top of the agenda.

– #360VIEW: Gareth Bale on way to becoming Wales’ greatest star
–  #360VIEW: Liverpool must stand firm on Sterling valuation
– #360TRANSFERS: Ten Ligue 1 summer targets

Mihajlovic confident of Milan job

Former Sampdoria coach Sinisa Mihajlovic claims he will take over as AC Milan coach by the end of the month

Former Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi remains coach of the embattled Serie A giants, who will not compete in Europe next season after finishing down in mid-table alongside city rivals Inter. However Mihajlovic said: “It’s going fine, within two weeks I will be the new Rossoneri coach.”

Last week incoming Milan investor Bee Taechaubol, who is set to buy a 48 per cent stake in the Italian giants, refuted unconfirmed reports that he opposed the hiring of Mihajlovic, who steered Sampdoria to a seventh-place finish in Serie A and to the brink of qualification for the Europa League.

Former Al Nasr and Al Jazira coach Walter Zenga has since taken over at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

Rangers move for Warburton

Rangers are set to appoint Mark Warburton as their new manager.

The former Brentford boss – who will be assisted by former Light Blues captain Davie Weir – will become just the 15th man to have held the position in the club’s 143-year history when he is unveiled at a press conference today.

The 52-year-old takes over from Stuart McCall, whose short-term contract has not been renewed by chairman Dave King after he failed to lead the club back to the Scottish Premiership.

McCall had taken over the role in March on an interim basis following the resignation of Kenny McDowall, leading them to the Scottish Premiership play-off final where they lost to Motherwell.

Rangers chairman Dave King said earlier this week he had not ruled McCall out of the running for the permanent job but announced there were “five realistic candidates that might fit the bill” while also claiming the club would invest heavily in the squad over the summer.

Dortmund add goalkeeper Burki

Borussia Dortmund have bolstered their goalkeeping ranks ahead of next season with the signing of Swiss international Roman Burki from relegated Freiburg.

The 24-year-old, capped twice by his country, joins the club after featuring in all 34 games of Freiburg’s doomed campaign, keeping nine clean sheets.

Dortmund described their new recruit, who will provide stiff competition to No 1 Roman Weidenfeller, as “one of the most reliable goalkeepers in the Bundesliga”, but did not disclose the fee.

Most popular

Van der Sar expects De Gea to make Man United exit this summer

Alam Khan - Reporter 05:25 15/06/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Fond farewell?: De Gea.

Manchester United goalkeeping legend Edwin van der Sar expects David de Gea to leave the club this summer – but says the Spaniard is not “irreplaceable”.

– #360VIEW: Gareth Bale on way to becoming Wales’ greatest star
–  #360VIEW: Liverpool must stand firm on Sterling valuation
– #360TRANSFERS: Ten Ligue 1 summer targets

Louis van Gaal’s men are bracing themselves for a bid from Real Madrid as the £30 million-rated 24-year-old enters the final year of his contract.

And van der Sar, who won four Premier League titles and a Champions League during six years at United, said: “He comes from Spain, he played for Atletico Madrid, he came here as a young boy to United, really grew up and became a man, and has become a top-quality goalkeeper, so he’s in demand.

“There’s been a lot of talk lately, and if he wanted to stay, he probably would have signed a new contract by now.

“David has immense reflexes and is also good at coming out for corners – he has improved a lot there. Louis also likes a goalkeeper who can play with his feet also and just behind the defence. Victor Valdes has also played like that at Barcelona for a while – or maybe they are looking for different one also. 

“At the start of the season you start with 11 players. Some things work out and other things you get a different type, so nobody is irreplaceable, that’s always the case. But I’m sure United, if David is going to leave, are going to find a good successor.”

That could even be current Dutch No 1 Jasper Cillessen, someone who van der Sar knows well as he is a director at Ajax, where the 26-year-old has grown to become a top stopper for club and country.

“I hope United aren’t getting him,” he added, speaking at the Manchester United Legends v Bayern Munich Legends game on Sunday in aid of the Manchester United Foundation.

“Luckily I have some influence on that part, being on the board of Ajax. But of course, Jasper is a fantastic goalkeeper.

“He has also improved immensely. He played great for the national team in the World Cup and is, like David here, a very reliable goalkeeper for us in Amsterdam. We would like to keep him for a while.”

Most popular