UEFA Champions League: Celtic, Dundalk advance to second qualifying round

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
A comprehensive 5-2 aggregate win for Celtic FC.

Celtic breezed through to the second qualifying round of the Champions League after beating Sarajevo 2-1 in Glasgow to secure a 5-2 aggregate victory.

Ryan Christie and Callum McGregor scored for Celtic, who welcomed back Leigh Griffiths.

Striker Griffiths made his first competitive appearance since last December after taking time out to deal with personal issues.

Benjamin Tatar did level in the second half before McGregor’s winner and Celtic will face Nomme Kalju of Estonia next week.

Goalkeeper Gary Rogers was Dundalk’s hero as they beat Riga 5-4 on penalties to progress.

The 37-year-old saved two spot kicks in a nail-biting shootout in Latvia after the first-round qualifying tie had finished 0-0 on aggregate.

Stefan Panic and Armands Petersons were denied by the goalkeeper before Sean Hoare settled the shootout. Dundalk face Qarabag, who beat Partizani Tirana 2-0, in the second qualifying round.

Herdi Prenga was sent off in extra time for Riga after collecting a second yellow card before the match went to penalties.

Linfield were dumped out of the after a 6-0 aggregate defeat to Rosenborg.

McGregor scored the winner on the night for Celtic.

McGregor scored the winner on the night for Celtic.

The Norwegian side won 4-0 on Wednesday in Trondheim to easily progress.

Anders Konradsen struck twice before David Akintola and Pal Andre Helland scored as David Healy’s side failed to recover from their 2-0 first-leg loss.

Rosenborg will play BATE after their 3-2 aggregate win over Poland’s Piast following a 2-1 win.

Sweden’s AIK squeezed past Ararat-Armenia 4-3 on aggregate after a 3-1 win.

Former Birmingham and Sunderland midfielder Sebastian Larsson scored a crucial second-half penalty to send the hosts through to play Maribor.

They completed a convincing 5-0 aggregate win over Valur after their 2-0 victory at the Stadion Ljudski.

Ferencvaros beat Ludogorets 3-2 to progress 5-3 on aggregate and will face Valletta next.

Cluj beat Astana 3-1 to win 3-2 on aggregate and play Maccabi Tel-Aviv in the second round.

Montenegro’s Sutjeska Niksic advanced with a 3-2 penalty shootout win over Slovan Bratislava after a late goal earned a 1-1 draw on the night and 2-2 aggregate result.

Provided by Press Association Sports

Know more about Sport360 Application


Most popular