Fernando Alonso believes he has gained vital experience for a future crack at the Le Mans 24 Hours after finishing 38th in the Daytona endurance race on Sunday.
The Spanish former Formula One world champion’s campaign in Florida was derailed by mechanical problems that included two brake failures in his United Autosports Ligier JS P217.
The 36-year-old admitted however he had been unnerved by the experience.
“You’re scared a little bit, no doubt,” Alonso said. “It happened two times in the first corner – you’re right there at 300-310 kilometres an hour then you hit the brakes and there’s no brakes.
“At night, you don’t see clearly the tire wall or the escape road, so there was even a little more of a scare.”
The McLaren driver took to the track in Florida this weekend to gain experience for racing Le Mans.
Only one other driver – Graham Hill – has successfully achieved that hat-trick. Alonso has two wins in Monaco, and impressed at the Indy500 on his debut last year.
Alonso, who posted the 13th fastest qualifying time in Daytona this weekend, said his experience in Florida would be invaluable when he eventually races in Le Mans.
“It is a positive feeling despite the issues and reliability. It was a very nice experience the whole event,” Alonso said.
“If and when I will be Le Mans, it will be the second time at least,” he added. “So I will be much more prepared for the practice, the race, driver changes, communication, driver preparation between the teams, how much rest you need to have.”
Alonso said last week his chances of racing in Le Mans this year are “50-50”.
McLaren have indicated Alonso will be free to race at Circuit de la Sarthe on June 16-17 should he wish to do so as it does not clash with his F1 commitments.
Know more about Sport360 Application
Fernando Alonso on Thursday said he’d give McLaren a chance to settle their plans before making a decision about his future – but warned that he wouldn’t stick around in a losing car.
The frustrated two-time world champion has been making noises all season about quitting the British team, who are widely expected to dump their misfiring Honda engines and go with Renault instead.
Alonso’s car has failed to complete six races this season, and his best finish so far is sixth. He said he had “many options” both inside and outside of Formula One, but added that “very good news is coming”.
“Whatever I do next year is because I want to win. I will not be around in any series to be fighting for top 10 or top 15,” he told reporters ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix.
“There are many options out there that I’m looking at. Formula One is my first and only priority so I will wait to make a decision on that before making decisions on other series.
“At the same time I want to give time to my team. After the last three years, the struggles we went through together, to have time for them to make decisions, to see the future, next year’s car. And after they take decisions I will take mine.”
Alonso’s comments appear to hint that he will stay at McLaren next year if they axe Honda, which is strongly rumoured to happen before Sunday’s race.
Alonso, 36, is one of the oldest drivers on the grid, and he also hankers after becoming only the second man after Graham Hill to complete motorsport’s Triple Crown – winning the Monaco Grand Prix, Indy 500 and Le Mans.
GAME OF CHESS
Alonso last year skipped Monaco to race the Indy 500 but he seemed hopeful that he would contest the famous street grand prix next season.
“If I remain in Formula One it is because I can believe that I can win next year. So that will make the decision a lot easier because I will be in Monaco because I won’t want to lose any points,” he said.
“The priority is Formula One… and the Triple Crown is in the background. I’m waiting for my current team to make their decisions and after that, to negotiate.”
He added: “For my fans and for motorsport lovers, they will have a fantastic 2018 season. The plan is ongoing and very good news is coming.”
Alonso last month denied telling McLaren he’d quit if they don’t ditch Honda. Multiple reports say Honda will open a partnership with Toro Rosso, whose driver Carlos Sainz is tipped to join Renault as part of the deal.
Sainz said he couldn’t comment on the rumours but he added: “My ambition is to try and be a world champion one day. Whatever path there is, I will take the shortest path.”
World championship leader Lewis Hamilton, who has won two of his three drivers’ titles since leaving McLaren for Mercedes in 2013, said: “Formula One is like a game of chess.
“It’s really about picking your moves at the right time and hopefully you have enough options.”
“F1 is like a game of chess” 🤔
Care to explain, Lewis Hamilton… pic.twitter.com/Wxl4sKJVvC
— Formula 1 (@F1) September 14, 2017
Provided by AFP Sport
Real Madrid fan and Formula One superstar Fernando Alonso has been named as an official honorary member of the Whites at a lavish ceremony held at the Santiago Bernabeu.
The boyhood Los Blancos fan, who endured a disappointing Italian Grand Prix on Sunday, is the latest inductee into Real’s member roll of honour.
“Thank you very much Mr. President, this is a tremendously special day for me, I do not miss anything that happens at this club and when people ask me why I am a supporter, I always say I don’t know why, because I was just born to be a Real Madrid supporter,” the McLaren-Honda driver, now 36, said.
The Spaniard is twice a world championship, having won back-to-back crowns in 2005 and 2006.
Alonso: “I am another member of this great club.” 👇
— Real Madrid C.F.🇬🇧 (@realmadriden) September 4, 2017