Rosberg expects ‘shock’ void after F1 title buzz

F1i 13:15 16/12/2016
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Nico Rosberg says he expects to experience a “shock” void once the buzz of his 2016 Formula One title celebrations have faded away and the feeling of retirement starts settling in.

Rosberg surprisingly announced his departure from F1 mere days following his title-clinching race in Abu Dhabi, saying he was no longer willing to make the same sort of commitment to defend his crown.

Since then, the German has been touring the world to celebrate his championship victory, fulfilling many media commitment along the way.

Speaking to the French edition of GQ during his recent stopover in Paris, Rosberg admits he is prepared to come back to Earth after floating on cloud nine.

“Since we won the title, we have been partying all the way and it will continue for a bit,” the 31-year-old said. “But I must admit I’m starting to feel tired. I have been running on emotions until now but then…

“There will be a void. I have been flat-out and things will come to a halt at Christmas. It will be a shock but that’s how it is and I’m not worried about it.”

Talking about his plans, Rosberg also downplayed talks of a future career in acting after being quoted by news agency AFP that he would be keen to try his hand at it.

“It was not a joke, but you have to know that they asked me whether I could see myself being in a movie and I replied ‘Why not?’ and then the media just ran with it. But yeah, one day, that’d be a cool thing to do.”

Know more about Sport360 Application

Recommended

Most popular

Massa edging towards F1 comeback

F1i 16:06 15/12/2016
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Williams have missed the experience and ingenuity of Felipe Massa this season.

Williams has asked Felipe Massa to defer his retirement from Formula 1 by one year to compensate for Valtteri Bottas’ potential departure to Mercedes, French publication L’Equipe reports on Thursday.

The Finn was announced last month as part of Williams’ 2017 driver line-up alongside F1 rookie Lance Stroll. However, Bottas has since emerged as the front runner to replace Nico Rosberg at Mercedes following the 2016 world champion’s shock exit from the sport.

The Grove-based outfit has remained tight-lipped on the reports so far, but chief technical officer Pat Symonds has already warned of “heavy” consequences if Williams were to field an entirely new driver pairing next year, especially with radical regulation changes set to come into play.

According to the story, Massa is in “advanced” talks with the British team to extend his stay by another year. The Brazilian joined Williams in 2014 from Ferrari, enjoying a three-year stint before announcing his retirement from the sport at this year’s Italian Grand Prix.

Should Williams let Bottas go to Mercedes, it is alleged that the team would receive an estimated €10 million (£8.4m) discount on its 2017 power supply from the German manufacturer.

Most popular

Inside Line podcast: Hulkenberg shares favourite radio moment

Sport360 staff 09:06 14/12/2016
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Scroll down to listen to the podcast in full.

After previous appearances from the likes of Nico Rosberg and David Coulthard on the Inside Line F1 Podcast, we now have the famous ‘Hulk’.

In this week’s episode, Nico Hulkenberg tells us his funniest radio message, how he found Juan Pablo Montoya funny in Austria in 2001 and his struggles in trying to remember his favourite Formula 1 joke.

Apart from the Hulkenberg special, we talk about Mercedes’ overdrive to find Rosberg’s replacement and cashing in on the positive PR around it. Strangely enough, ‘overtaking’ was not added as a skill in their much-publicised advert for a Formula 1 driver. Get the hint?

If Fernando Alonso doesn’t fill the vacant cockpit, does it indicate a decline in Bernie Ecclestone’s control over the sport? And in no way is Valtteri Bottas a brave choice, Mr. Wolff. Let’s hope that all the powers combine bring to us a Hamilton-Alonso pairing in 2017!

In the off-season, we will bring to you a few Formula 1 drivers talking about their favourite radio messages and jokes from the sport so remember to subscribe on iTunes or Audio Boom with Sergio ‘Checo’ Perez slated for next week.

Tune in below!

Most popular