WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has announced Tyson Fury will take on another opponent before a rematch with WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder.
The governing body had ordered a rematch following the draw in their first fight in December but Fury will now “take on another fight” before turning his attention to Wilder.
Sulaiman said on Twitter: “@BronzeBomber (Wilder) vs @Tyson_Fury is officially not happening next.
“While WBC champion Wilder confirmed his willingness to fight the rematch, Fury will take on another fight with expectations to do the rematch at a later date.”
Last week Fury announced a lucrative deal with ESPN that makes it the “exclusive” broadcaster of his fights in the United States and that made negotiations difficult given Wilder has a deal with network Showtime.
However, after the announcement of that deal Fury’s promoter Frank Warren insisted the Wilder-Fury rematch remains likely.
Fury’s fellow Briton Anthony Joshua holds the other recognised belts in the division – WBA, IBF and WBO – and he will fight American Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden in June. That fight will be shown in the US on DAZN, giving all three fighters different loyalties and interests.
Anthony Joshua brushed off Jarrell Miller’s taunts after the pair came face-to-face in London to promote their world heavyweight title fight.
IBF, WBA and WBO champion Joshua will fight in the United States for the first time as a professional in New York on June 1.
That bout will also represent the first fight for a world title for Miller, who in 2014 was given a nine-month suspension by the California State Athletic Commission for the banned stimulant methylhexaneamine.
The 30-year-old said he had noticed a change in Joshua’s physique, although added that he believes the Briton will be clean when the pair meet at Madison Square Garden.
Joshua, who has never failed or rejected a drugs test, responded: “He’s looking at my change between 2012 and 2013 but why doesn’t he look at the 11 years?
“Around the Olympics I was around 104kgs, then when I turned pro I was around 107kgs, so that’s around half-a-stone. I am 115kgs, so that’s 11kgs in 11 years; it averages out. It’s just my dedication.
“It’s not the first time this has happened. So many fighters will be accused but I get tested and if, in the next 10 years, something was to come up then it would be a genuine mistake because I do not shove needles up my a***.”
Miller revealed that both fighters have agreed to between 10 and 12 weeks of drug testing in the build-up to the bout.
Joshua confirmed: “I am on (drug testing scheme) ADAMS whereabouts, they have to know where I am for an hour every day and could walk in anytime.
“They can turn up any time during the day and that is a lifetime commitment. I have been on that since 2012 and I pay £40,000-a-fight to be tested by VADA two times a week.
“Jarrell Miller has been banned for drugs, so maybe that’s why he’s saying it.”
Chris Eubank Jnr is to explore returning to middleweight after reviving his career with a victory that leaves James DeGale facing retirement.
The 29-year-old dominated their grudge super-middleweight match-up at London’s O2 Arena, knocking DeGale down twice to secure the finest win of his career and put himself back into contention for a world title challenge.
He has been fighting at 168lbs since February 2017, yet continued to appear a natural middleweight. He had long suggested a return there would give him his greatest chance of success.
A lucrative offer to compete in the World Boxing Super Series and then his rivalry with DeGale ensured he remained there, but his father and manager Chris Eubank Snr, who excelled in both divisions before retiring after successive defeats at cruiserweight, is encouraging him to return.
Saturday’s victory was also Eubank Jnr’s first under his new trainer Nate Vasquez, and came as he demonstrated significant signs of improvement, ultimately ensuring that they will continue to work together.
“This was a career-defining fight for me, this was make or break, do or die,” he said. “I had to win, I had to make a statement, and I believe that’s exactly what I did.
“I want to challenge for world titles, I want to fight big names, the best in the middleweight or super-middleweight division. I can make both weights; whatever’s put in front of me, whatever the best route is, I will take.
“It’s extremely satisfying. (DeGale) saying that I can’t mix it at world-level, I can’t beat the top guys, I needed to prove that wrong. He managed to get a lot of people to believe that. So now hopefully I’ve turned some of the doubters, haters, into believers.
“I didn’t think he had it in him to get up after two heavy knockdowns like that, to keep going, and take those big shots. Respect to him for that.”
DeGale confirmed post-fight that he is likely to retire, and when asked about Vasquez’s influence and a potential rematch with Billy Joe Saunders, Eubank Jnr said: “Nate brought focus to the preparation. He brought a tailored, focused training camp, which I’ve never really had before.
“I had the right sparring, was working on the right things, for James DeGale. For all my previous fights, all my biggest fights it was just get fit, spar whoever’s in the gym, and fight.
“For this we studied, had a strategy, and that’s what we’ll continue to do for my future fights.
(Me and Saunders have) got a lot of history. I look at that and the rivalry we have; it’s tough not to want that fight.”
The 52-year-old Eubank Snr added: “He fought at 12 stones. He’s a middleweight, and that’s what we’re going to discuss, and look forward to competing at again.
“It may be time to come back down, but it’s something we will discuss as a team. He’s a true middleweight.”