Amir Khan on punishing drug cheats and if big fights in Dubai will ever happen

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
(Hiba Khan/Sport360).

The paltry six-month ban handed to drugs cheat Jarrell Miller could “literally kill someone in the ring” because it does nothing to deter future infringers, according to leading boxer Amir Khan.

Miller, 30, returned three adverse tests for EPO, human growth hormone and endurance-boosting GW1516 ahead of June 1’s now-cancelled heavyweight multiple-title bout with Anthony Joshua. The length of the subsequent World Boxing Association’s punishment has been heavily criticised by a plethora of figures inside and outside the sport, with calls for a lifetime ban led by his British would-be opponent.

Down the divisions, Khan has twice lost to boxers – Lamont Petersen and Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez – who went on to test positive for banned substances. Speaking in Dubai, the former unified light-welterweight world champion – having held the WBA (later Super) title from 2009 to 2012 and the IBF title in 2011 – was scathing in his assessment.

“Six months, I cannot believe that, after taking drugs,” said the 32-year-old, commenting ahead of last Friday’s Knockout Night from Badou Jack Promotions at FIVE Palm Jumeirah Hotel. “I mean, you are cheating and you can literally kill someone in the ring.

“I’ve been in a fight with someone who has taken drugs, for example Peterson. It can affect you.

“When I was fighting Peterson, I put him down twice in the fight and he kept coming back. He would just not get tired.

“Trainings and workouts should get you into shape, not drugs. I just think the ban should have been a bit longer, make it sound more serious that you can’t take drugs.

“People know it’s a six-month ban, they’ll think ‘that’s only one fight, really.’ They will come back and take it again, it’s just a slap on the wrist.

“I think it should be a bigger caution and you should get in trouble for it more.”

Asked, in response, how prevalent the issue had become, Khan replied:  “It is becoming a really big problem. Before, they never had these tests.

“There are now so many fighters getting caught. It shows that there are drugs in the sport of boxing.

“We need to stop that. By stopping it, give them a lifetime ban – that is how I look at it.

“A lifetime ban needs to be on fighters who take drugs, as it’s not a level playing field.”

Khan is a regular visitor to the UAE. He was even strongly linked to a landmark scrap with Philippines icon Manny Pacquiao for May 2017, which would have been the first of its scale in the country.

The Bolton-born pugilist believed June’s public opening of Dubai Citywalk’s 17,000-capacity Coca-Cola Arena could be a game changer for the Emirates’ fight fans.

He said: “Boxing in Dubai is improving, it’s getting bigger and bigger. There are a lot of expats here from Britain, America and everywhere.

“There are so many big boxing fans. I’ve just heard they’ve built a big stadium [Coca-Cola Arena] downtown, so imagine doing a big boxing event there.

“It’d be huge. It’d be a sell-out. I always said I wanted to fight here.

“If it happens in my career, that’d be amazing. If it doesn’t, I’d like to support another fight to be here. I am willing to put my own promotion team on the line.

“I just need that go-ahead from the top guys here. If they said we were allowed to do it, I’d say Amir Khan Promotions would regularly put on regular boxing events in Dubai.

“And they’d be big boxing events, big names as well.”

Khan suffered a painful defeat – in all senses – against the unbeaten Terence Crawford last month.

Ambitions of claiming the WBO world welterweight belt ended in bizarre fashion when an accidental low shot to the groin in the sixth round saw him pulled out by his corner. This followed a contest in which the pummelled rank outsider had already been sent to the canvas in the first and received several harsh body blows in the fourth.

He was accused of prematurely quitting by several prominent voices, including probable next rival Kell Brook who was ringside at New York’s iconic Madison Square Garden.

But this dispiriting bout has not daunted Khan, who previously recovered from September 2008’s loss to Colombia’s Breidis Prescott to become unified light-welterweight world champion three years later, and claimed the vacant WBC Silver interim light-welterweight strap in December 2012 after successive setbacks to Americans Lamont Petersen and Danny Garcia.

“Obviously the last fight was a little bit a difficult, it didn’t end the way we wanted it to,” said Khan.

“Hit with a low shot, but at the same time I’m not taking anything away from Terence Crawford. He’s up there with one of the best fighters in the world.

“I’m just going to go back to the drawing board. I’m still in the top 10 in the world.

“I want to fight someone in the top 10 for my next fight. Hopefully that will be in October or November time – I’m still active, I still feel strong.

“We’ve got names like Kell Brook there, still the top, top fighters there. I’m in a very lucky position that I have the opportunity to put bums on seats.

“TV networks like to see me fight and getting the top guys in the ring is quite easy. I’m still in a good position of getting the big names in, because we bring a lot of money to the table.

“I’m only 32 years of age, although I did say that this is the last chapter of my career. I want to fight maybe one or two more times and then maybe call it a day.

“It just depends what’s out there for me.

“I still have it in me. I still love the sport and I still work hard – I still feel like I’m up there.

“Mentally, I’m quite strong and I know I’ll always come back from defeats. I’ve been knocked out, I’ve come back and become world champion again – I’m sure I can do it again.”

A monumental task was presented to stop an elite American competitor currently ranked second by Ring magazine in its pound-for-pound top 10. Memories of Khan’s murderous knockout by Mexico superstar Canelo Alvarez in May 2016 are also raw – and harrowing.

These disappointments even led to calls that he should immediately call time on an undulating 38-fight, 14-year professional career from which estimated earnings of £30 million have been accumulated.

A love of the sport and dreams of prime time, however, remain undiminished from an athlete who first announced himself to a global audience aged 17 when he won silver at the Athens 2004 Olympics.

And an ebullient Khan was confident he would end an engaging ‘Battle of Britain’ versus Brook in “six or seven rounds” if they, belatedly, meet.

“Kell Brook still excites,” he stated. “It’s a fight that’s always there.

“People say it’s a 50/50 fight, but I believe I would take out Kell Brook in six or seven rounds. That’s the fight that would be an easy sell.”

Most popular

Related Sections

Saul Alvarez beats Daniel Jacobs to unify middleweight world titles

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez added the IBF middleweight world title to his WBC and WBA belts with a unanimous decision victory over Daniel Jacobs in Las Vegas.

The Mexican moved up a division to beat Englishman Rocky Fielding inside three rounds last year, becoming a three-weight world champion, but returned to 160 pounds to face Jacobs for the unified world middleweight titles.

Alvarez busily got to work on his opponent in the early rounds, firing off jabs to the 32-year-old’s body, although the American started to land his own punches in the second round.

The onslaught continued with Alvarez landing uppercuts in the third and fourth rounds, while Jacobs struggled to keep up with the 28-year-old’s skill and movement.

The American started to come out on top through rounds seven and eight and there was more action in round nine as both men exchanged shots, Jacobs connecting a heavy hook on Alvarez’s chin near the bell.

Jacobs held on through all 12 rounds but Alvarez’s early dominance left little doubt he would be crowned the winner, with the fight scored 115-113, 115-113, 116-112 in his favour.

Quoted on Sky Sports, Alvarez said after the fight: “It’s just what we thought, we knew he was going to be a difficult fighter.”

In relation to the heavy left hook he took in the ninth, he added: “It was a hard shot, I went to the corner and said no big deal.”

Having drawn with Gennady Golovkin in their first bout in 2017, Alvarez beat the Kazakhstan fighter last September, and said he would be open to a third bout.

“I’m just looking for the biggest challenge and I want that to be my biggest fight.

“For me, we’re done, but if he wants to do it again, I’ll beat him again.”

Jacobs admitted the early rounds set him back, but thought victory could have been in sight.

“He’s a tremendous champion, I take my hat off to him,” said Jacobs.

“I definitely think it took me a couple of rounds to get my wits about me.

“I feel like I gave enough to get the victory, but I’ve got to go back to the tapes and see what happened.”

Most popular

Amir Khan makes bold Kell Brook prediction in Dubai and ponders Terence Crawford loss

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Amir Khan’s painful defeat – in all senses – against the unbeaten Terence Crawford has not deterred confidence he “can do it again” and rebound as a world champion.

Khan, 32, witnessed ambitions of claiming the WBO world welterweight belt end in bizarre fashion last month when an accidental low shot to the groin in the sixth round saw him pulled out by his corner. This followed a contest in which the pummelled rank outsider had already been sent to the canvas in the first and received several harsh body blows in the fourth.

The British pugilist was accused of prematurely quitting by several prominent voices, including probable next opponent Kell Brook who was ringside at New York’s iconic Madison Square Garden.

But this dispiriting bout has not daunted Khan, who previously recovered from September 2008’s loss to Colombia’s Breidis Prescott to become unified light-welterweight world champion three years later and claimed the vacant WBC Silver interim light-welterweight strap in December 2012 after successive setbacks to Americans Lamont Petersen and Danny Garcia.

“Obviously the last fight was a little bit a difficult, it didn’t end the way we wanted it to,” said Khan, speaking ahead of Friday’s Knockout Night from Badou Jack Promotions at FIVE Palm Jumeirah Hotel.

“Hit with a low shot, but at the same time I’m not taking anything away from Terence Crawford. He’s up there with one of the best fighters in the world.

“I’m just going to go back to the drawing board. I’m still in the top 10 in the world.

“I want to fight someone in the top 10 for my next fight. Hopefully that will be in October or November time – I’m still active, I still feel strong.

“We’ve got names like Kell Brook there, still the top, top fighters there. I’m in a very lucky position that I have the opportunity to put bums on seats.

“TV networks like to see me fight and getting the top guys in the ring is quite easy. I’m still in a good position of getting the big names in, because we bring a lot of money to the table.

“I’m only 32-years-of-age, although I did say that this is the last chapter of my career. I want to fight maybe one or two more times and then maybe call it a day.

“It just depends what’s out there for me.

“I still have it in me. I still love the sport and I still work hard – I still feel like I’m up there.

“Mentally, I’m quite strong and I know I’ll always come back from defeats. I’ve been knocked out, I’ve come back and become world champion again – I’m sure I can do it again.”

Khan faced a monumental task to stop an elite American competitor currently ranked second by Ring magazine in its pound-for-pound top 10. Memories of his murderous knockout by Mexico superstar Canelo Alvarez in May 2016 are also raw – and harrowing.

These disappointments even led to calls that Khan should immediately call time on an undulating 38-fight, 14-year professional career from which estimated earnings of £30 million have been accumulated.

A love of the sport and dreams of prime time, however, remain undiminished from a boxer who first announced himself to a global audience aged 17 when he won silver at the Athens 2004 Olympics.

He said: “In the fight, I was still there. He [Crawford] was technically a very good fighter and I did find it quite hard to get to him.

“But I still think, maybe not against a Crawford… but I still feel I’m better than the guys like Danny Garcia, Lemont Peterson, Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao.

“Those fights could be big, still.”

Brook’s name was a noticeable omission. Especially as a long-term rivalry between the pair has bubbled under since 2012.

Khan was confident he would end an engaging ‘Battle of Britain’ in “six or seven rounds” should they, belatedly, meet.

“Kell Brook still excites,” he stated. “It’s a fight that’s always there.

“People say it’s a 50/50 fight, but I believe I would take out Kell Brook in six or seven rounds. That’s the fight that would be an easy sell.”

Since Bolton-born Khan’s successful United States debut against Paulie Malignaggi in May 2010, 11 of his 15 bouts have been across the Atlantic Ocean.

His last ‘mega fight’ on home soil was a fifth-round technical decision over bloodied ring legend Marco Antonio Barrera a decade ago at Manchester’s MEN Arena. This is an absence he intends to end this September or October against ex-IBF welterweight holder and Sheffield-native Brook.

Khan said: “I always wanted to do everything I wanted to do away from the UK in America, that’s the Mecca of boxing.

“I’ve done that now, I want to have my next fight in the UK. And if it’s Kell, it’s Kell.”

Most popular