Andy Ruiz Jr cannot wait for Anthony Joshua rematch

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Andy Ruiz Jr has said he will be even more prepared for his rematch against Anthony Joshua after claiming a shock victory over the Briton in New York earlier this month.

The 29-year-old took to the streets of California, where he was born, in an open-top car to celebrate winning the IBF, WBA and WBO titles with a seventh-round stoppage victory at Madison Square Garden.

The Mexican-American boxer returned to the city of Imperial for the parade held in his honour and told reporters he was sure he could get the better of Joshua once again.

In comments reported by the BBC, he said: “The rematch is going to be the same. I am going to be more prepared and more ready.

“I know his flaws. I can do a lot better. The only thing that he can do is just run around, he’s not good at boxing.”

Joshua was on the receiving end of one of the biggest shocks in the history of heavyweight boxing on his United States debut on June 1.

He was knocked down twice in the third round and twice more in the seventh, forcing referee Mike Griffin to stop the contest.

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn announced days after the fight that the contracted rematch clause had been triggered and the second fight will take place in November or December.

“People thought I wasn’t going to do anything, I was too big, too overweight,” Ruiz Jr added. “I don’t want to say all the things I am going to change.

“There is going to be a lot of changing, I am going to come at a better weight this time. It’s going to be a hell of a fight.”

Copy provided by Press Association Sport

For the very latest news, analysis and opinion download the Sport360 app

Most popular

Video: Andy Ruiz admits first thing he did with money from beating Anthony Joshua was buy his mum a car

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Newly-crowned unified world heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz revealed the first thing he did with his prizemoney for beating Anthony Joshua was buy his mum a car.

Ruiz, 29, spoke in his hometown on Friday on the eve of a parade to mark his historic achievement.

Ruiz, who stopped Joshua in the seventh round of their June 1 bout at Madison Square Garden, captured the WBA, WBO, IBF and the IBO heavyweight titles.

“Well first of all…I bought a car for my mum, that was the first purchase that I made from the money that I got,” said Ruiz, born in the city of Imperial, California, which will host his parade on Saturday.


“I bought my mum a car because I messed up a lot of her cars when I was young.”








Ruiz inflicted the first professional defeat of Joshua’s career and derailed the Briton’s plans for a unification clash with American Deontay Wilder in 2020.


Joshua activated the rematch clause with Ruiz just days after the defeat, with early suggestions that if it takes place in London, it could be set for November at Wembley Stadium or English Premier League club Tottenham’s new stadium.



Most popular

Related Sections

Tyson Fury sets sights on Deontay Wilder rematch after destroying Tom Schwarz

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Tyson Fury set his sights on a lucrative rematch with Deontay Wilder after excelling in his first fight in Las Vegas to stop Tom Schwarz in only two rounds.

The 30-year-old furthered his reputation as the world’s finest heavyweight at the MGM Grand by repeatedly hurting his German opponent from the opening bell, dropping him in the second round before forcing his corner to throw in the towel after two minutes and fifty seconds.

For all of his natural talent Fury has rarely been a destructive fighter, but at a time when he has the attention of a wider audience in the US and when his rewarding contract with ESPN commits him to fighting there he proved almost as entertaining as in December’s draw with Wilder.

Fury revealed that he is scheduled to fight again on either September 21 or October 5 in New York, and that the rematch with dangerous WBC champion Wilder will then become his priority in the first half of 2020 after he felt he should have got the verdict the first time around.

He wore the US stars and stripes to and in the ring as he ensured his popularity continued to grow, and he explained: “Deontay Wilder is coming. This fight is happening. There were three horses in the heavyweight division; now there’s two.

“I already beat him once so I’ll beat him again, and he’s going to get a fully match-fit, sharp Tyson Fury. It’s the biggest fight in world boxing, and the biggest we’ll see for the next few years. It doesn’t get any bigger.

“It’ll be brilliant to fight in New York (before then).

“I wanted to show a few things to the American public, to introduce myself properly.

“I showed a little bit of speed, boxing skill, my ability to slip and slide out of the way of punches and my ability to finish, which is important.

“I’m more active than I’ve ever been in my career, apart from the first year. I’ve always wanted to stay active, and I’m finally getting the opportunity to.

“I feel better with more weight on me, I put on an extra 10 or 11lbs from my last fight and I felt bigger and stronger for it.”

When the fight with the 25-year-old, previously-undefeated Schwarz was made, Fury revealed fighting in Vegas had been a lifelong ambition, and he said: “This was my coming-out party. You saw me fight in December but I had to lose 147lbs for that fight. I wasn’t at my strongest.

“This time I had enough training and was strong, fit and ready to put on a show. My next few fights are definitely going to be in America. I wanted to put on a statement and a show and have fun.

“I wasn’t punch-perfect, although it was a good performance I still got hit with one punch, which is one too many times. We’re going to go back and get in the gym as soon as we get back on Tuesday.

“We saw a British fighter (Anthony Joshua) travel to America a couple of weeks ago and he didn’t look like he wanted to be in there. This was Tyson Fury in Las Vegas; the biggest thing that’s happened in my career so far.

“Driving over in the car with my wife, I said ‘I think we’ve made it, Paris. We’re headlining in Vegas, this is it’. I enjoyed every minute of it.”

Most popular

Related Sections