Godolphin's Masar to run in Hardwicke Stakes at Royal Ascot

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Masar

Godolphin‘s Masar will run in the Hardwicke Stakes at Royal Ascot in preference to the Prince of Wales’s Stakes.

Trainer Charlie Appleby has confirmed last year’s Epsom Derby winner will make his long-awaited return in next weekend’s Group Two over a mile and a half.

The Group One Prince of Wales’s, over two furlongs shorter on Wednesday, would have seen Masar make his comeback in what appears a high-class renewal against top fillies Magical and Sea Of Class – herself set to race for the first time in eight months, since her second to the brilliant Enable in last year’s Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.

The decision also means James Doyle will be free to ride William Haggas’ Sea Of Class in the Prince of Wales’s, rather than having to choose Masar in that race as he continues to deputise for his fellow Godolphin rider William Buick – who is currently absent with illness .

Appleby explained he and the owners made the final call on Masar’s Ascot target after the colt galloped on Saturday.

He said: “We were very pleased with Masar’s work this morning, and we thought the right option for him is the Hardwicke.

“It’s his first start since the Derby – and with the rest of the season ahead of us, we just felt it would be a tough assignment in the Prince of Wales’s, with the way that race is shaping up.

“The Hardwicke is a lovely race, and we know the conditions should suit him. It looks the right option to start his four-year-old career.”

Masar has been absent from the racecourse since last June, after suffering a leg injury while being prepared for Sandown’s Coral-Eclipse 11 months ago.

Provided by Press Association Sport 

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections

Godolphin trainer Charlie Appleby delaying decision on Ascot target for Masar

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

A decision on which race last year’s Derby winner Masar will run in at Royal Ascot will be made in the next 48 hours.

Godolphin trainer Charlie Appleby was happy with him in a routine gallop on Wednesday, after a racecourse spin at Newmarket on Saturday – but whether he lines up over 10 furlongs in the Prince of Wales’s Stakes or the Hardwicke over two furlongs further has still not been finalised.

Appleby said: “I was delighted with the way he came out of Saturday. He did a routine bit of work, but rain stopped play in allowing us to get over the road on to the Limekilns. I couldn’t have been happier with his work.

“In regards to whether he runs in the Prince of Wales’s or Hardwicke, a decision will be made in the next 48 hours. I don’t want to put it further back, but there plenty of calculations that need to be made, especially with the way the ground is with the rain.

“You would be hoping for decent ground, but the forecast has changed over the last couple of days and that has to be taken into consideration. I will speak to Sheikh Mohammed and we will make what we think is the right call for the horse for his start at Ascot.”

He added: “Dropping back to 10 furlongs doesn’t worry me, as I said on Saturday, as he has won the Craven and we were going to come back to 10 furlongs after the Derby, when unfortunately he met with a setback when favourite for the Eclipse.

“We have just got to make sure we make the right decision for his first start after a long lay-off.”

One thing Appleby did confirm was that if Masar runs in the Prince of Wales’s William Haggas will need a new jockey for Sea Of Class, with James Doyle to be retained by Godolphin.

“Wherever Masar runs James Doyle will ride, whether that is the Prince of Wales’s or the Hardwicke,” said Appleby.

“James will be riding all the first-choice horses and star performers like Masar, Cross Counter and Blue Point and he is looking forward to the rides on them.

“Kerrin McEvoy will be coming over to pick up the second mounts. We are delighted to have him on board, as we have had a good association through the years. Hopefully he will stay over until the July meeting at Newmarket.”

Provided by Press Association 

Most popular

Related Sections

Godolphin's Old Persian to favour Arlington Million over Royal Ascot

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Godolphin trainer Charlie Appleby favours the Arlington Million as a possible next target for Old Persian instead of trying to secure back-to-back victories at Royal Ascot.

The Newmarket trainer may aim Old Persian at the Grade One prize in Illinois on August 10 rather than bidding to follow up last year’s King Edward VII Stakes victory in either the Prince Of Wales’s or Hardwicke Stakes.

After claiming his first top-level success in the Dubai Sheema Classic at Meydan in March on his penultimate start, the Dubawi colt could finish only seventh of nine in the Coronation Cup at Epsom.

Appleby said: “He was entitled to come forward for his run in the Coronation Cup at Epsom, but he did disappoint us the way he shut down in the last furlong.

“He came back out of the race OK – but I just think a more conventional track will suit him, so we might look at the Arlington Million and drop him back to a mile and a quarter on that flat track there.

“I know he has won around Ascot – and because he was a winner at the meeting last year, you can’t completely rule it out, but I think we will end up missing Ascot.

“We were just disappointed with that last run at Epsom, and it was not the sort of run you want to go into a championship meeting like Ascot.”

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Related Sections