Godolphin's Ghaiyyath set for step up in trip in Grosser Preis von Baden

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Godolphin trainer Charlie Appleby is excited about stepping Ghaiyyath up in trip on his first start in more than four months in the Longines Grosser Preis von Baden in Germany.

The Newmarket handler believes the Dubawi colt will prove a different proposition when running over a mile and a half for the first time in the Group One contest at Baden Baden on Sunday.

After making a winning return to action in a Group Two at ParisLongchamp in April, Ghaiyyath was last sighted suffering an odds-on defeat in the Prix Ganay back at the French track later that month.

Appleby said: “Ghaiyyath is on track for Germany at the weekend. His work has been good, and preparation has been well to date. We are looking forward to getting him back on track.

“We will take a look at the race during the course of the week and make a final decision later on – but I’m very happy with what he has done so far and where he is, and at the moment all systems head towards Germany.

“This will be his first start over a mile and a half as well, and we have been looking forward to that. Hopefully he will be an exciting horse in the autumn.”

With Ghaiyyath set to make his return from a break at the weekend, stablemate Old Persian is expected to travel further afield in search for a second top-level success – with Appleby earmarking the Northern Dancer Stakes at Woodbine on September 14 as his next target.

Having failed to fire in the Coronation Cup at Epsom on his penultimate start, this year’s Dubai Sheema Classic winner finished a close third on his latest outing in a Group One at Hoppegarten this month.

Appleby said: “He ran a respectable race in Germany and seems to have come out of it well.

“With Ghaiyyath coming back, he will probably go to Canada for the Northern Dancer next month.”

A trip to Australia appears unlikely for 2017 St James’s Palace Stakes winner Barney Roy, with Appleby instead considering a Dubai campaign next year.

He added: “I don’t think we will be going to Australia with Barney Roy.

“I think the plan is to hold back and wait for Dubai. I can see him going well in something like the Jebel Hatta.”

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Related Sections

Godolphin's Red Galileo set for staying campaign following fine York effort

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Godolphin trainer Saeed bin Suroor is in no rush to commit Red Galileo to future targets following his narrow defeat in the £1million Sky Bet Ebor at York.

Ridden by 5lb claimer Cieren Fallon – son of six-times champion jockey Kieren Fallon – Red Galileo was sent off at 25-1 for the prestigious one-mile-six-furlong handicap, but performed admirably to finish a close second behind the Ger Lyons-trained Mustajeer.

The winner is bound for Australia and a tilt at the Melbourne Cup – and Bin Suroor is not ruling out the possibility of his charge following the same route.

He said: “I was very happy with how he ran and he has come out of the race good. I think that trip is really good for him.

“He is doing well and I think he is better at this time of year. We will see where we go in the future, but we will be looking at stayers’ races for him.

“That (Australia) is one of the options.”

The Godolphin trainer also provided a positive update on two of his long-absent stable stars in Best Solution and Benbatl.

Both horses won three Group Ones in 2018, but have not been seen in action so far this season.

Best Solution has been off the track since finishing eighth in the Melbourne Cup last November, while Benbatl was last seen filling the runner-up spot behind Winx when she claimed her historic fourth victory in the Cox Plate the previous month.

Bin Suroor added: “Best Solution is coming back, along with Benbatl.

“Both horses are in good form and hopefully they will be back on the track in September. They had a busy time last year, so we have given them plenty of time.

“We will try to find small races for them to give them some confidence.”

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Related Sections

Platinum Star back on song for Saeed bin Suroor with Ripon win

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Godolphin’s Platinum Star made the most of having his sights lowered as he claimed a clear-cut victory in the British Stallion Studs EBF Ripon Champion Two Yrs Old Trophy.

Saeed bin Suroor’s juvenile was only narrowly beaten in the Windsor Castle at Royal Ascot and the July Stakes at Newmarket earlier in the summer – and was last seen finishing fifth behind Godolphin’s star juvenile Pinatubo in the Group Two Vintage Stakes at Goodwood.

Dropping back into Listed company at the North Yorkshire track, the Lope De Vega colt was the 6-4 favourite in the hands of Callum Shepherd – and after hitting the front racing inside the final two furlongs, he found plenty in the closing stages to score by three and a half lengths.

Archie Watson’s filly Lambeth Walk was best of the rest in second, narrowly ahead of the Richard Hannon-trained Oh Purple Reign in third.

Bin Suroor said: “We decided to drop him in class and drop him in trip and this looked a really good race for him.

“He has shown plenty of speed in the mornings and in his last piece of work on the Limekilns he worked really well.

“He’s doing good physically and he’s in good form. We’ll try and find a Group race for him over six furlongs.

“We’ll keep the options open for him.”

Platinum Star’s big-race entries include the seven-furlong Champagne Stakes at Doncaster on September 14 and the Juddmonte Middle Park Stakes at Newmarket on September 28.

Provided by Press Association Sport

Most popular

Related Sections