Following his infamous press conference after his Roland Garros first round exit last month that saw Bernard Tomic use a total of 64 words to answer 10 questions, the talented Aussie set a new record at Wimbledon qualifying on Monday.
Tomic, who claimed a convincing 7-6 (1), 6-3 victory over Italian Matteo Donati on the lawns of Roehampton to reach the qualifying second round, was in no mood to discuss his win, nor his recent rise in form.
Making a point of being intentionally short with the media over the past few weeks, Tomic, who made the semis in s-Hertogenbosch as a qualifier 10 days ago, used just 43 words to respond to questions in his press conference on Monday.
Q: “How did you feel about how you played today?”
Tomic: “I played good.”
Q: “You said out there that the conditions were faster, so how did that help your game, do you like a quicker grass court?”
Tomic: “Of course it was a lot faster than last year for sure.”
Q: “Being back in qualifying, they mentioned on TV about the memories you had in 2011 qualifying, do you think back to that a lot?”
Tomic: “It’s there, but I couldn’t really care.”
Q: “Doing well in Rosmalen, did that cost you a bit last week, you couldn’t really go anywhere?”
Tomic: “Yes I guess, I tried my best.”
Q: “How important was that week for you?”
Tomic: “Like any week.”
Q: “I realise you’re not as chatty as you used to be, is there any specific reason for that?”
Tomic: “I’m always chatty, what are you talking about? (smiling)”
Tomic: “Is that alright?”
The 25-year-old then walked away. The conversation was all very civil and polite, but it also lasted a mere 56 seconds.
Tomic has had a tricky relationship with the press, and it hasn’t always been his fault. So, it’s understandable that he would decide to become cautious with journalists but his brief one-liners are probably not the best way to go. The good news for him is that he’s playing better and has a strong chance of making the main draw.
Meanwhile, fellow Aussie Thanasi Kokkinakis, who was in a much chattier mood than his compatriot, reflected on his unfortunate qualifying campaign at Roland Garros last month, where he lost in the second round but somehow missed out on a chance of getting into the main draw as a lucky loser because so many players — eight to precise — pulled out yet not enough competitors signed in to replace them.
— Reem Abulleil (@ReemAbulleil) June 25, 2018
Kokkinakis was in Paris but didn’t expect to have any chance of making it into the main draw.
“I had no idea how it worked,” confessed Kokkinakis.
“I never would have thought for a Slam if you lose second round you’ll have a chance at lucky loser and then someone told me I would have gotten in to play Bernie (Tomic) which would have been fun. I don’t know, it happens, I can’t get too angry. It’s just unheard of how many people pulled out. So it is what it is.”
It’s safe to say he will never make that mistake again!
Know more about Sport360 Application