Djokovic forced to retire from DDF Tennis Championships

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Djokovic lost the first set 6-3 to Lopez.

World No.1 Novak Djokovic was forced to retire from his Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships quarter-final clash against Feliciano Lopez on Thursday night with an eye infection.

The 28-year-old four-time Dubai champion was out-of-sorts as he lost the first set to the Spaniard 6-3 before announcing his withdrawal from the match.

Djokovic, who later revealed he was struggling with a problem in both eyes, hit 18 unforced errors in nine games against the sixth seed, just a day on after the 11-time Grand Slam champion wrapped-up his 700th win on the ATP World Tour.

The retirement, which is the Serbian’s first since his 2011 Davis Cup clash with Juan Martin del Potro, ended his run of 17 straight finals.

The 28-year-old, who received treatment immediately after he left the court, said: “It’s an eye problem, I’ve had it ever since I arrived in Dubai. It started with an infection and an allergy, it’s got worse in the past two days unfortunately.

“It’s the first time I’ve had such a problem with the eye and it was ultra-sensitive with the lights and it wasn’t to be.

“It’s both eyes, it started with the right, but the right one is worse. There was not much they could do on the court.

“I’m really sad to finish the tournament this way, I apologise to the fans and everyone involved. I was forced to retire.

“I just hope the problem with my eyes will fade away over the next couple of days and there’s a lot of important events awaiting for me.

“Physically I feel fine, mentally as well.”

Djokovic also added that he was advised not to wear his usual contact lenses for matchplay because of the infection.

“I was instructed not to wear contact lenses because of the fact that the lenses aren’t helping this situation. I was only wearing contacts on Wednesday for the match and against Lopez.

Lopez now advances to the semi-finals where he will face Marcos Baghdatis who overcame Roberto Bautista Agut 7-5, 6-0 earlier in the day.

Most popular

Baghdatis downs in-form Bautista Agut at Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis rolled back the years with some vintage tennis to advance through to the semi-finals of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

The former Australian Open finalist got the better of in-form Roberto Bautista Agut 7-5 6-0 to set-up a potential meeting with World No.1 Novak Djokovic in the last four.

“Roberto’s in great shape and great form, he’s won two tournaments already this season. He is one of the most confident guys on the tour,” the 30-year-old said.


“I knew it would be very tough physically and mentally and I think that’s why I held strong in the first set because I knew beforehand that it would be tough. I’m very happy with the way I ended up playing in the second set.”









Most popular

Related Sections

Wawrinka's personal pep talks help Swiss star reach quarter-finals in Dubai

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

No.2 seed Stan Wawrinka has revealed he has been giving himself pep talks after travelling to Dubai alone but it hasn’t stopped the Swiss star’s progress through to the quarter-finals of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

The World No.4 made light work of Frank Skugor, winning in straight-sets, 7-5 6-1, to set-up a last eight meeting with German Philipp Kohlschreiber, with the pair having last met at the Madrid Masters in 2008.

“I’ve had texts to say congrats and good luck (from coach Magnus Norman). I talk to myself with my brain,” the two-time Grand Slam winner joked in his post-match press conference.










Most popular