Nick Kyrgios expects to be healthy for ATP Washington tournament

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Putting in the hard yards: Nick Kyrgios.

Nick Kyrgios expects to regain full fitness before the US Open and is targeting a return to the tour at the Citi Open in Washington DC, which starts on July 29.

The Australian world No20 retired two sets into his Wimbledon first round against Pierre-Hugues Herbert due to a lingering hip injury and has been training and doing rehab work in Canberra to prepare for the upcoming North American hard-court.

Speaking on a visit to SCD American Vehicles in Queensland, Australia earlier this week, Kyrgios sounded optimistic about his physical condition and is confident he’ll be ready for the final Grand Slam of the season in New York next month.

“It’s one of my favourite tournaments, so I’m definitely going to be playing that,” Kyrgios said of the US Open.

“I’m working hard at the moment. Obviously just flew up for the day today, but I’ve been back home, putting my head down, doing all the right things to get healthy. I’m doing rehab every day, so I’m flying back after this, going back to Canberra and doing rehab every day.

“I’m aiming for Washington in a couple of weeks in the US, so if everything goes well and I keep doing it, there’s no reason why I can’t be playing healthy in the next couple of weeks.”

Doesn't make sense unless it's with you ⏱

A post shared by ^Nicholas Kyrgios^ (@k1ngkyrg1os) on

The 22-year-old will be joined by Dominic Thiem, Alexander “Sascha” Zverev, Lucas Pouille and Gael Monfils in the field in Washington DC, where he’ll be looking to get his season back on track after injury woes slowed down the strong momentum he had earlier in the year.

He is currently ranked 24 in the Race to London and is searching for a first title win in 2017.

Most popular

Bjorn Borg Open: Two tennis players play a match on US-Mexican border to make a statement

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Swedish sportswear brand Björn Borg has orchestrated a tennis match on the US–Mexican border with one player on each side of the border, half the tennis court on Mexican soil and the other half on US soil.

Borg Open – Tennis across Borders – is an initiative intended to manifest an open world in which sport has the power to unite people.

The world of today is full of conflicts and rivalry that lead to frustration, causing people and nations to build walls between each other. But rivalry can also be something good. After all, a rival pushes you to perform better and often brings out the best of you.

So, why build walls, when we could get to know and learn from one another instead? That’s why Swedish sportswear brand Björn Borg has manifested a tennis match on the US–Mexican border, at Tijuana River, where a game has been played between tennis players Mariano Argote (MX) and Peter Clemente (US).


Henrik Bunge, CEO of Björn Borg, said: “Borg Open is our way to state that we, as a sportswear brand, believe in an open world. Unfortunately, the activity is not likely to make those people who promote raising walls change their opinion. But, with our heritage, we know that not only tennis nets, but sport in general, has the power to unite people. We hope to inspire people to reach out to their neighbours and do sport together instead of building walls.”








On average a tennis player swaps sides 13 times during a game. In this game, they weren’t allowed to. Borg Open – tennis across borders, is an initiative intended to encourage people to stop build walls and play a game of tennis instead.


The tennis match was played at Tijuana River, between San Diego (US) and Tijuana (MX) 32°32’29.93″N 117° 2’19.57”W.




Most popular

Venus Williams allegedly 'at fault' in fatal car crash in Florida

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Venus Williams.

Tennis star Venus Williams was “at fault” in a Florida traffic accident that resulted in the death of a 78-year-old man, police said in a report obtained Thursday by AFP.

Williams, 37, slowed in the middle of an intersection when her vehicle was hit by a car driven by the man’s 68-year-old wife, the report said.

The accident occurred on June 9 in Palm Beach Gardens, a small city north of Miami.

The driver’s husband suffered a head injury and died two weeks later at the hospital.

The winner of seven Grand Slam championships was not using her phone and had not taken drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash, police said.

The driver of the other vehicle told police she was approaching an intersection going westbound when Williams’ northbound utility vehicle suddenly cut across into the intersection, leaving no time to stop before her car hit Williams’s vehicle.

Williams told police she was trying to get through the intersection but had slowed to five miles (eight kilometers) per hour due to a traffic jam that left her car blocking the right of way.

The driver’s husband suffered head trauma and was hospitalized in intensive care prior to his death, according to the Miami Herald newspaper. His wife went to the hospital with broken bones and other injuries.

No charges have been filed, although Palm Beach Gardens police said the crash is under investigation.

“This is an unfortunate accident and Venus expresses her deepest condolences to the family who lost a loved one,” said Williams’s attorney, Malcolm Cunningham, in a statement published by the paper.

Williams is seeded 10th at Wimbledon, the year’s third Grand Slam tennis event that begins Monday in England.

Most popular

Related Tags

Related Sections