Fognini was suspended from further participation in last month’s US Open after the incident, which meant he couldn’t compete in doubles, and was fined $24,000 for on-site offences.
On Wednesday, the Grand Slam Board announced further punishment for the Italian world No. 28, following an investigation into the matter.
“The Grand Slam Board Director determined that Mr Fognini had committed the Grand Slam Major Offences of Aggravated Behaviour and Conduct Contrary to the Integrity of the Game for his misconduct at the 2017 US Open,” read a statement released by the board.
The decision stated the following sanctions:
1. Mr Fognini is guilty of the Major Offence of Aggravated Behaviour (Article IV.A) and Conduct Contrary to the Integrity of the Game (Article IV.B);
2. Mr Fognini is hereby fined $96,000 (in addition to the $24,000 penalty already paid for on-site offences) which will be reduced to $48,000 if no further Grand Slam Major Offence conviction occurs through and including 2019;
3. Mr Fognini will be suspended from participation in two Grand Slam tournaments, one of which must be the US Open, except that any such suspensions will not be imposed if no further Grand Slam Major Offence conviction occurs through and including 2019;
4. If a further Grand Slam Major Offence is committed during the period, the full penalties will be re-instated in addition to any other penalties imposed for the subsequent Grand Slam Major Offence;
5. Mr Fognini accepts and will not appeal this Decision and he has expressed remorse for his admitted misconduct. He has confidence that he will meet the conditions necessary to reduce his financial penalty and to lift his Grand Slam tournament suspensions in the future.
6. As always, all financial penalties arising from misconduct at Grand Slam tournaments are donated by the Grand Slam tournaments to the Grand Slam Development Fund.
Fognini had made $1,177,715 in prize money so far this season (as of last Monday) and claimed his fifth ATP title in Gstaad in July. He reached the St. Petersburg final last month, where he lost to Damir Dzumhur.
The 30-year-old is no stranger to controversy, with his on-court temperament frequently landing him in hot water.
Temperamental Australian Nick Kyrgios was fined $10,000 and lost another $21,085 in prize money on Wednesday after storming off midway through his first-round match at the Shanghai Masters.
World number one Rafael Nadal meanwhile raced into the third round in just 54 minutes as he attempts to win one of the rare tournaments that has eluded him.
But it was the 22-year-old Kyrgios who was again in the spotlight following what was just his latest controversy on Tuesday.
The ATP said it had fined Kyrgios for unsportsmanlike conduct and he will not collect his prize money because he failed to get signed off for a medical after retiring from his match.
Kyrgios’s time at the Shanghai Masters is over after he also pulled out of his scheduled doubles match with Frenchman Lucas Pouille on Wednesday.
He apologised after walking off court on Tuesday, having lost the first-set tie break to the American Steve Johnson.
In a statement posted on Twitter a few hours later he said that he had a “stomach bug” and had hurt his shoulder. The tweet later appeared to have been deleted.
It was a nasty case of deja vu for the world number 21 — a year ago he argued with spectators and was accused of giving away points in a defeat at the same Shanghai event.
The talented but fiery Kyrgios was consequently fined and suspended.
His immediate future in tennis is again under threat following Tuesday’s incident, when he hastily exited the court with jeers and boos ringing in his ears.
It came after he complained about the umpire and spectators in the arena, and was docked a point penalty for the second match running because of his conduct, which included blasting a ball out of the court in a flash of rage.
“What’s happening here?” he asked, seemingly irritated by spectators moving around between points in the tie break.
“Exactly why I shouldn’t come here,” he muttered.
Kyrgios appeared to blame the umpire for failing to get the spectators in line and his afternoon worsened fast when he received a point penalty.
“Poor officiating again,” Kyrgios complained, and added: “Sick of this place.”
A dominating first set from @RafaelNadal thanks to shots like this….
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) October 11, 2017
If Nadal was fast in dumping out the American Jared Donaldson, rising star Alexander Zverev was even faster. He was on court for just 12 minutes when Britain’s Aljaz Bedene retired hurt.
The unseeded Bedene was losing 4-0 in the first set when he called it quits because of a leg injury.
The 20-year-old Zverev, the German prodigy who is seeking his sixth title of a breakthrough season, joins sixth seed Grigor Dimitrov in the third round.
But the Bulgarian had an almighty scare and saved three match points before pulling through 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (6) against the American Ryan Harrison.
Also through in Shanghai, where matches were forced indoors because of the rain, were Gilles Simon of France and Sam Querrey of the United States.
Australian firebrand Nick Kyrgios apologised and said he had been unwell after he stormed off court to loud boos midway through his opening match at the Shanghai Masters on Tuesday.
The 22-year-old issued a statement following his abrupt exit after losing the first set 7/5 on a tie break to the American Steve Johnson, having been docked a point for the second match running because of his conduct.
The ATP Tour is investigating and Kyrgios, similarly hit with a point penalty in losing the China Open final to Rafael Nadal on Sunday, said he was “gutted” to retire against Johnson.
A member of Kyrgios’s coaching team told AFP in Shanghai – where a year ago he was accused of “tanking” in defeat and consequently suspended – that the world-ranked 21 had injured his shoulder.
Hours later Kyrgios, whose undoubted talent has often been betrayed by his quickfire temper, made a statement on Twitter apologising and saying he was “gutted”.
“I’ve been battling a stomach bug for the past 24 hours and I tried to be ready but I was really struggling on the court today, which I think was pretty evident from the first point,” he wrote.
“My shoulder started to hurt in the practice today, which didn’t help either, and once I lost the first set I was just not strong enough to continue because I’ve not eaten much the past 24 hours.”
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) October 10, 2017
He will make a decision on Wednesday as to whether he takes part in his doubles match the same day with Frenchman Lucas Pouille.
Kyrgios did look in discomfort with his shoulder early on in the match against the unseeded Johnson.
But he seemed untroubled by the injury when they entered the tie break, but as in the final in Beijing, his temper soon got the better of him, after he was angered by the unsettled crowd and the umpire.
He began Tuesday’s match on his best behaviour but showed a first flash of irritation towards the end of the set, blasting a ball out of the court after he disagreed with a call.
Kyrgios and Johnson were both comfortable on their serves and they went into the tie break with signs Kyrgios was beginning to lose his cool.
He went 3-0 up in the tie break but as Johnson pegged him back he was irked by spectators in the close-knit arena getting up between points.
“What’s happening here?” he asked, before muttering: “Exactly why I shouldn’t come here.”
Kyrgios appeared to blame the umpire for failing to get the spectators in line and his afternoon spiralled fast when he received a point penalty.
“What is he doing? Is this normal?” Kyrgios asked somebody in the official area of the arena, where spectators and players are in close proximity.
“Poor officiating again,” Kyrgios complained, and added: “Sick of this place.”
After Johnson wrapped up the set Kyrgios had enough, shaking the hands of his opponent and the umpire though not looking him in the eye and packing his bag and leaving.
Another notable exit in Shanghai was the seventh seed Pablo Carreno Busta, beaten by fellow Spaniard Albert Ramos Vinolas.
Also out was the American Jack Sock after the 14th-seed retired against Ukrainian qualifier Alexandr Dolgopolov.
Fourth seed Marin Cilic was forced to fight, fending off Britain’s Kyle Edmund 6-3, 7-6 (7/5).
World number one Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and rising star Alexander Zverev – the three top seeds – enter the fray on Wednesday.