Irish Mixed Martial Arts superstar Conor McGregor was released on $50,000 bail Friday after being hauled before a US judge on assault and criminal charges over a frenzied attack on a bus of rival fighters that injured two athletes.
The 29-year-old, nicknamed “The Notorious,” was filmed lobbing a dolly through a window of the bus in a New York stadium at the end of a media event on Thursday. The bus was moving slowly through the Barclays Center loading dock at the time.
The Irish father-of-one was also captured on surveillance throwing a chair toward a passenger window of the bus and punched a member of a security detail, his Brooklyn arraignment heard Friday.
Two athletes were wounded, forcing them to be pulled from the upcoming UFC 223 card, the Ultimate Fighting Championship confirmed.
Lightweight Michael Chiesa sustained facial cuts and flyweight Ray Borg multiple corneal abrasions.
“I’m devastated to say the least,” tweeted Chiesa.
McGregor spent Thursday night in a Brooklyn police station, after surrendering, and was escorted to a criminal court in handcuffs.
He stood before a judge in jeans, saying nothing except “yes your honor.”
The judge set bail at $50,000 in a package that allows McGregor to travel without restriction. His next court date was set for June 14.
“He’s the most visible face on the planet. He has no criminal history and the bail package is completely appropriate,” McGregor’s lawyer Jim Walden told the court.
UFC President Dana White told ESPN that no decision would be taken on McGregor’s lucrative UFC career until after this weekend’s fight card, and denied that Thursday’s fracas had been an elaborate publicity stunt.
“Conor is in a lot of trouble. Obviously, the big question everybody’s been asking me is, ‘Are you firing Conor McGregor?'” White told the broadcaster. “This is bigger than Conor McGregor getting fired. There are so many more moving pieces to this thing.”
“This is the last stunt on Earth that we’d ever pull,” he said. “This is embarrassing for the sport and obviously for the UFC.”
McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Fellow MMA fighter Cian Cowley, 25, was hit with one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Bail was set for Cowley at $25,000.
White accused the Irish star and other men of “storming the building” on Thursday.
“They got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and attacked them, throwing trash cans, dollies, things like that,” White said. “Broke one of the windows, cut Michael Chiesa real bad.”
White called it “the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,” and warned that McGregor would likely face legal action.
“As you can imagine, he’s going to be sued beyond belief,” White said.
The Irishman reportedly pocketed around $100 million for the superfight he lost in August in Las Vegas against ex-welterweight champion boxer Floyd Mayweather.
Their matchup was one of the richest boxing bouts of all time.
It was not clear what triggered Thursday’s alleged assault, but it appeared to be linked in part to the UFC’s decision to strip McGregor of his world title.
McGregor reportedly turned up unannounced at the end of the UFC 223 press event.
On Wednesday, White said the UFC would take back McGregor’s lightweight title, which would be awarded to the winner of Saturday’s UFC 223 fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway in New York.
McGregor reacted angrily to the decision on social media. “You’s’ll strip me of nothing,” he tweeted, invoking an expletive.
Provided by AFP Sport
Know more about Sport360 Application
Conor McGregor turned himself into US police on Thursday night following an incident where he allegedly attacked a shuttle bus loaded with fellow mixed martial arts fighters who were attending a New York media event.
The 29-year-old McGregor surrendered to the 78th Precinct station but there was no immediate indication whether charges had been filed, the New York Post reported. The newspaper said McGregor was being questioned and would eventually be charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment.
Video of the earlier incident clearly showed McGregor hurling a dolly through a side window of the bus as it moved slowly in a car park at the Barclays Center in New York.
UFC President Dana White said fighter Michael Chiesa, who was on the bus, had been hospitalised following the incident and was being treated for cuts to the face.
Police had issued a warrant for the arrest of McGregor, White added, accusing the Irish superstar and a group of around 20 men of “storming the building”.
“They got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and attacked them, throwing trash cans, dollies, things like that,” White said. “Broke one of the windows, cut Michael Chiesa real bad, cut his hand, cut his face.
“Everyone’s shaken up. This is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company.
“There is a warrant out for Conor McGregor’s arrest. They’re looking for him right now. His plane cannot take off, he can’t leave the state of New York.”
White predicted McGregor, who reportedly pocketed around $100 million for his superfight against boxer Floyd Mayweather last August, would likely face legal action over the incident.
“As you can imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief,” White said. “This was a real bad career move for him.”
It was not clear what triggered McGregor’s assault but it appeared to be linked in part to the UFC’s decision to strip him of his world title.
McGregor reportedly turned up unannounced at the end of Thursday’s press event to publicise the upcoming UFC 223 card.
On Wednesday, White said the UFC would strip McGregor of his lightweight title, which would be awarded to the winner of Saturday’s fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway in New York.
McGregor reacted angrily to the decision on social media. “You’s’ll strip me of nothing …” McGregor ranted.
The fight game has been good to Conor McGregor; it’s made him a multi-millionaire and a transcendent cultural figure in the social media age.
His earnings have skyrocketed from a $76,000 purse on his UFC debut in 2013 to the $30 million he pocketed after losing to Floyd Mayweather in September. That’s a 39,500 per cent increase in revenue. Even Silicon Valley’s finest would struggle to compete.
It’s been a mutually-beneficial relationship with McGregor’s charisma alone helping bring new fans to MMA, maintaining the UFC’s steady growth as the promotion has struggled to nurture and promote genuine star names.
McGregor loves the limelight, and the limelight loves him. And so he should? An apprentice plumber is now one of the most famous sportsmen on the planet. A perfect rags to super-riches tale, and it’s understandable he should be the subject of a documentary film just four years into his professional life.
But amid all the bluster, the trash talking, the foul-mouthed exchanges, McGregor has always carried a sort of playful naievity. An everyman appeal, that’s he’s just here for the “cheese” and enjoying the ride. People have looked to him and enjoyed his meteoric rise through the prism of their own lives. Just like a reality talent show, except what McGregor has done carries genuine credibility.
There’s always been charm to outweigh the crassness. However, as the profile has grown beyond, ‘Conor McGregor: UFC champion’, with each tale of his behaviour away from the sport, a little layer of that affable allure has eroded.
The latest such act was on Friday night at Bellator 187 in Dublin when, in the wake of victory for fellow Straight Blast Gym alumni Charlie Ward, McGregor climbed into the cage to celebrate.
Due to him not being a licensed cornerman, referee Marc Goddard tried to restore order and in the process drew the anger of McGregor causing him to shove the official and then scream in his face.
Later on, he tried to jump the cage again only to be stopped and he reacted by slapping Bellator official Mike Johnson in the face.
Maybe it was an act of self-promotion for him, Ward and/or the event. Maybe he just couldn’t resist being the centre of attention in his home town. Maybe he just got caught up in the moment and, as he and Goddard have recent history, it all came to the surface.
Either way, what he did was appalling, and for all the publicity, attention and discussion it’s caused it’s neither good for him nor the sport in the long run. Tellingly, there’s been zero sign of contrition.
MMA has made huge strides in trying to force itself into the mainstream; from uniform drug testing to it’s notably progressive promotion of female athletes, it’s a vastly different discipline than the bloody cage-fighting cliches of old. But it still carries an air of the brutishness and a sense of an inert chaos bubbling under. It’s part of its appeal, but at the same time restricts it reaching a wider audience.
So, when the sport’s biggest star and public figurehead is clambering into a ring, taking pot-shots at referees, as he’s trying to check if a beaten fighter is medically okay, and calling officials, “rats”, it just isn’t a good look.
Mike Mazzulli, the president of the Association of Boxing Commissions and Combative Sports (ABC), said in the aftermath, “Mr. McGregor is not bigger than the sport of MMA.” Hopefully that is true, although it’s unclear what sort of punishment he will face, if any.
For ‘the Notorious’ brand it puts him in a interesting place. The reaction has been exclusively negative with a realisation that maybe McGregor’s ego may now be bigger than McGregor himself, lurching into self-parody.
His career and earnings have been built, in part, on being the arch non-conformist. But each time he pushes the boundary that bit further, it takes him away from his appeal of old. Maybe that’s what he wants, to be the anti-hero.
Maybe he doesn’t care. But, if it continues, eventually the fight game will stop being good to him.