Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov have bans extended following brawl at UFC 229

Sport360 staff 25/10/2018
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov have had their suspensions extended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission until an investigation into a brawl following their bout is over.

The pair were caught up in ugly scenes following their UFC lightweight world title fight, which Nurmagomedov won, in Las Vegas earlier this month.

On Wednesday the commission voted to uphold temporary suspensions for both fighters until a hearing on December 10.

A statement confirmed the commission met on Tuesday and voted unanimously to suspend the pair pending their hearings and withhold $1 million, half of Nurmagomedov’s purse.

Following his victory, Nurmagomedov jumped the octagon fence and started fighting McGregor’s camp.

McGregor then fought with the Russian’s team and they both remain suspended.

The commission voted to release half of Nurmagomedov’s purse after initially holding all of his earnings.

“I have felt half was a good enough amount of money, to release a million dollars, that should cover all expenses, give the fighter some money,” Nevada Athletic Commission chairman Anthony Marnell told the meeting.

“At the same time, it’s still a very substantial amount of money to be withheld until we can get to the case in December and get all of the testimony or potentially we get a settlement agreement.

“Who knows how that will go over the next 60 days, but it’s enough money to keep this contestant’s interest in this hearing.”

Both fighters have been requested to attend the hearing in person.

The incident began after Nurmagomedov earned a fourth round submission win and then leaped over the cage to go after McGregor’s team-mate Dillon Danis.

McGregor was then involved in a separate brawl with three of Nurmagomedov’s team-mates inside the cage before security intervened.

Recommended

Most popular

Related Sections

Conor McGregor released on $50K bail after New York assault

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Irish Mixed Martial Arts superstar Conor McGregor was released on $50,000 bail Friday after being hauled before a US judge on assault and criminal charges over a frenzied attack on a bus of rival fighters that injured two athletes.

The 29-year-old, nicknamed “The Notorious,” was filmed lobbing a dolly through a window of the bus in a New York stadium at the end of a media event on Thursday. The bus was moving slowly through the Barclays Center loading dock at the time.

The Irish father-of-one was also captured on surveillance throwing a chair toward a passenger window of the bus and punched a member of a security detail, his Brooklyn arraignment heard Friday.

Two athletes were wounded, forcing them to be pulled from the upcoming UFC 223 card, the Ultimate Fighting Championship confirmed.

Lightweight Michael Chiesa sustained facial cuts and flyweight Ray Borg multiple corneal abrasions.

“I’m devastated to say the least,” tweeted Chiesa.

McGregor spent Thursday night in a Brooklyn police station, after surrendering, and was escorted to a criminal court in handcuffs.

He stood before a judge in jeans, saying nothing except “yes your honor.”

The judge set bail at $50,000 in a package that allows McGregor to travel without restriction. His next court date was set for June 14.

“He’s the most visible face on the planet. He has no criminal history and the bail package is completely appropriate,” McGregor’s lawyer Jim Walden told the court.

UFC President Dana White told ESPN that no decision would be taken on McGregor’s lucrative UFC career until after this weekend’s fight card, and denied that Thursday’s fracas had been an elaborate publicity stunt.

“Conor is in a lot of trouble. Obviously, the big question everybody’s been asking me is, ‘Are you firing Conor McGregor?'” White told the broadcaster. “This is bigger than Conor McGregor getting fired. There are so many more moving pieces to this thing.”

“This is the last stunt on Earth that we’d ever pull,” he said. “This is embarrassing for the sport and obviously for the UFC.”

McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Fellow MMA fighter Cian Cowley, 25, was hit with one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Bail was set for Cowley at $25,000.

White accused the Irish star and other men of “storming the building” on Thursday.

“They got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and attacked them, throwing trash cans, dollies, things like that,” White said. “Broke one of the windows, cut Michael Chiesa real bad.”

White called it “the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,” and warned that McGregor would likely face legal action.

“As you can imagine, he’s going to be sued beyond belief,” White said.

The Irishman reportedly pocketed around $100 million for the superfight he lost in August in Las Vegas against ex-welterweight champion boxer Floyd Mayweather.

Their matchup was one of the richest boxing bouts of all time.

It was not clear what triggered Thursday’s alleged assault, but it appeared to be linked in part to the UFC’s decision to strip McGregor of his world title.

McGregor reportedly turned up unannounced at the end of the UFC 223 press event.

On Wednesday, White said the UFC would take back McGregor’s lightweight title, which would be awarded to the winner of Saturday’s UFC 223 fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway in New York.

McGregor reacted angrily to the decision on social media. “You’s’ll strip me of nothing,” he tweeted, invoking an expletive.

Provided by AFP Sport

Most popular

Conor McGregor turns himself in after attacking UFC bus in New York

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Conor McGreogor is in hot water again.

Conor McGregor turned himself into US police on Thursday night following an incident where he allegedly attacked a shuttle bus loaded with fellow mixed martial arts fighters who were attending a New York media event.

The 29-year-old McGregor surrendered to the 78th Precinct station but there was no immediate indication whether charges had been filed, the New York Post reported. The newspaper said McGregor was being questioned and would eventually be charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment.

Video of the earlier incident clearly showed McGregor hurling a dolly through a side window of the bus as it moved slowly in a car park at the Barclays Center in New York.

UFC President Dana White said fighter Michael Chiesa, who was on the bus, had been hospitalised following the incident and was being treated for cuts to the face.

Police had issued a warrant for the arrest of McGregor, White added, accusing the Irish superstar and a group of around 20 men of “storming the building”.

“They got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and attacked them, throwing trash cans, dollies, things like that,” White said. “Broke one of the windows, cut Michael Chiesa real bad, cut his hand, cut his face.

“Everyone’s shaken up. This is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company.

“There is a warrant out for Conor McGregor’s arrest. They’re looking for him right now. His plane cannot take off, he can’t leave the state of New York.”

White predicted McGregor, who reportedly pocketed around $100 million for his superfight against boxer Floyd Mayweather last August, would likely face legal action over the incident.

“As you can imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief,” White said. “This was a real bad career move for him.”

It was not clear what triggered McGregor’s assault but it appeared to be linked in part to the UFC’s decision to strip him of his world title.

McGregor reportedly turned up unannounced at the end of Thursday’s press event to publicise the upcoming UFC 223 card.

On Wednesday, White said the UFC would strip McGregor of his lightweight title, which would be awarded to the winner of Saturday’s fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway in New York.

McGregor reacted angrily to the decision on social media. “You’s’ll strip me of nothing …” McGregor ranted.

Most popular

Related Sections