Conor McGregor appears to have announced a highly-anticipated return to UFC in December.
The 31-year-old has not fought since his high-profile defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov last October, where he lost his UFC lightweight title.
McGregor has posted a cryptic tweet saying “Dublin, December 14th”, which may be suggesting a date for his return to the cage.
Since his last outing, McGregor has been faced with a number of issues outside the sport and only recently confirmed he would be returning.
Dublin, December 14th.— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) September 16, 2019
If the fight on December 14 goes ahead, it will be the first time the UFC has been held in Dublin since 2015, and McGregor’s first in his home country.
UFC vice-president James Elliott said in 2016: “Croke Park and the Aviva Stadium are two places that we’ve looked at, and we’ve made no secret about that.
“Conor has certainly made no secret about the fact he wants to fight in Dublin. It’s something that’s on the agenda.”
McGregor’s potential opponent could be Justin Gaethje, who knocked out Donald Cerrone, and said afterwards he would “love to” fight McGregor.
Copy provided by Press Association Sport
The pair were caught up in ugly scenes following their UFC lightweight world title fight, which Nurmagomedov won, in Las Vegas earlier this month.
On Wednesday the commission voted to uphold temporary suspensions for both fighters until a hearing on December 10.
A statement confirmed the commission met on Tuesday and voted unanimously to suspend the pair pending their hearings and withhold $1 million, half of Nurmagomedov’s purse.
Following his victory, Nurmagomedov jumped the octagon fence and started fighting McGregor’s camp.
McGregor then fought with the Russian’s team and they both remain suspended.
The commission voted to release half of Nurmagomedov’s purse after initially holding all of his earnings.
“I have felt half was a good enough amount of money, to release a million dollars, that should cover all expenses, give the fighter some money,” Nevada Athletic Commission chairman Anthony Marnell told the meeting.
“At the same time, it’s still a very substantial amount of money to be withheld until we can get to the case in December and get all of the testimony or potentially we get a settlement agreement.
“Who knows how that will go over the next 60 days, but it’s enough money to keep this contestant’s interest in this hearing.”
Both fighters have been requested to attend the hearing in person.
The incident began after Nurmagomedov earned a fourth round submission win and then leaped over the cage to go after McGregor’s team-mate Dillon Danis.
McGregor was then involved in a separate brawl with three of Nurmagomedov’s team-mates inside the cage before security intervened.
Irish Mixed Martial Arts superstar Conor McGregor was released on $50,000 bail Friday after being hauled before a US judge on assault and criminal charges over a frenzied attack on a bus of rival fighters that injured two athletes.
The 29-year-old, nicknamed “The Notorious,” was filmed lobbing a dolly through a window of the bus in a New York stadium at the end of a media event on Thursday. The bus was moving slowly through the Barclays Center loading dock at the time.
The Irish father-of-one was also captured on surveillance throwing a chair toward a passenger window of the bus and punched a member of a security detail, his Brooklyn arraignment heard Friday.
Two athletes were wounded, forcing them to be pulled from the upcoming UFC 223 card, the Ultimate Fighting Championship confirmed.
Lightweight Michael Chiesa sustained facial cuts and flyweight Ray Borg multiple corneal abrasions.
“I’m devastated to say the least,” tweeted Chiesa.
McGregor spent Thursday night in a Brooklyn police station, after surrendering, and was escorted to a criminal court in handcuffs.
He stood before a judge in jeans, saying nothing except “yes your honor.”
The judge set bail at $50,000 in a package that allows McGregor to travel without restriction. His next court date was set for June 14.
“He’s the most visible face on the planet. He has no criminal history and the bail package is completely appropriate,” McGregor’s lawyer Jim Walden told the court.
UFC President Dana White told ESPN that no decision would be taken on McGregor’s lucrative UFC career until after this weekend’s fight card, and denied that Thursday’s fracas had been an elaborate publicity stunt.
“Conor is in a lot of trouble. Obviously, the big question everybody’s been asking me is, ‘Are you firing Conor McGregor?'” White told the broadcaster. “This is bigger than Conor McGregor getting fired. There are so many more moving pieces to this thing.”
“This is the last stunt on Earth that we’d ever pull,” he said. “This is embarrassing for the sport and obviously for the UFC.”
McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Fellow MMA fighter Cian Cowley, 25, was hit with one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Bail was set for Cowley at $25,000.
White accused the Irish star and other men of “storming the building” on Thursday.
“They got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and attacked them, throwing trash cans, dollies, things like that,” White said. “Broke one of the windows, cut Michael Chiesa real bad.”
White called it “the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,” and warned that McGregor would likely face legal action.
“As you can imagine, he’s going to be sued beyond belief,” White said.
The Irishman reportedly pocketed around $100 million for the superfight he lost in August in Las Vegas against ex-welterweight champion boxer Floyd Mayweather.
Their matchup was one of the richest boxing bouts of all time.
It was not clear what triggered Thursday’s alleged assault, but it appeared to be linked in part to the UFC’s decision to strip McGregor of his world title.
McGregor reportedly turned up unannounced at the end of the UFC 223 press event.
On Wednesday, White said the UFC would take back McGregor’s lightweight title, which would be awarded to the winner of Saturday’s UFC 223 fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway in New York.
McGregor reacted angrily to the decision on social media. “You’s’ll strip me of nothing,” he tweeted, invoking an expletive.
Provided by AFP Sport