A press conference was held in London on Monday to officially announce the rematch between Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz Jr.
Eddie Hearn and Omar Khalil spoke to the media at the Savoy Hotel, detailing the bout scheduled for December 7 in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia.
Joshua will be trying to win back the IBF, WBA and WBO belts he lost to Ruiz at New York’s Madison Square Garden on 1 June.
Ruiz, an American, had insisted that the rematch take place back in the United States or at a neutral venue. Diriyah is a town on the outskirts of Riyadh, the Saudi Arabian capital.
The bout is part of a wider strategy by the Saudi authorities to portray the country as a modern, tourist-friendly destination, and several boxing events have taken place there over the past year.
Anthony Joshua’s world heavyweight title rematch against Andy Ruiz Jr will take place in Saudi Arabia on December 7, his promoters Matchroom have announced.
Joshua will be bidding to win back the IBF, WBA and WBO titles which Ruiz ripped from him in a stunning four-knockdown upset at Madison Square Garden in June.
The rematch will be the latest high-profile boxing event to be held in the country after Amir Khan’s victory over Australian Billy Dib in July.
The Kingdom also hosted the World Boxing Super Series super-middleweight final between British pair Callum Smith and George Groves last year.
Joshua’s bout with Ruiz Jr will take place in Diriyah, a town on the outskirts of the capital Riyadh, which incorporates the UNESCO World Heritage site of Al-Turaif.
Cardiff’s Principality Stadium was among the venues proposed for the rematch but Ruiz Jr had insisted the bout must take place either back in the United States or on neutral territory.
Joshua was left stunned by Ruiz Jr, who stepped in to fight him at five-and-a-half weeks’ notice after his initial opponent, Jarrell Miller, failed a drugs test.
After being knocked down four times he was stopped in the seventh round on his US debut, marking one of the biggest upsets in heavyweight history.
Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn immediately activated their rematch clause and targeted a bout in the UK but Ruiz Jr responded: “That is not going to happen.”
Copy provided by Press Association Sport
A “freak accident” has forced Belfast boxer Carl Frampton to pull out of his scheduled bout against Emmanuel Dominguez.
The Northern Irishman said a “large ornament” had fallen on his left hand in a hotel lobby, fracturing his fifth metacarpal.
He said: “I’m absolutely devastated.”
The 32-year-old had been due to fight Mexico’s Dominguez in Philadelphia on Saturday ahead of a shot at the featherweight title.
Frampton tweeted a video earlier in the day showing him running on a treadmill during what he called his “last hard session”.
He said: “It’s fight week now, training done, time to focus on the fight!”
The injury marked another setback in Frampton’s quest to again be a world champion.
He had considered retirement following December’s shock defeat by Josh Warrington before then preparing to fight earlier this summer.
But the adjournment of his court case with former manager Barry McGuigan ensured a delay.
The boxer, who has been the world champion at featherweight and super-batmanweight levels, signed a multi-fight deal with influential US promoters Top Rank in March.