Speaking on Friday on the eve of Tottenham’s Premier League game at Brighton and Hove Albion, manager Mauricio Pochettino said he wants to stay at Tottenham for the long haul, suggesting he would like to be at the club for at least another five years.
Pochettino’s future has been thrust into doubt after a difficult start to the season, which hit an alarming nadir on Tuesday when they were hammered 7-2 by Bayern Munich in Champions League.
Spurs were also beaten on penalties by League Two Colchester United in the Carabao Cup and have only won two games of their last nine in all competions.
But Pochettino said: “I think that is a moment to stay all together, I accept the opinions when you don’t win, it doesn’t only happen at Tottenham, it happens in all the clubs in the world, at a different level too.
“It is normal that that game creates a lot of opinion and rumours and everyone needs to talk. In the end all that happened is that we lost a game. There is no doubt we are staying all together and we are going to find the way to be successful again, no doubt.”
Watch what Pochettino had to say in the video above.
Know more about Sport360 Application
Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard reminded his young England players that they “need to show even more” for Chelsea despite earning call-ups to Gareth Southgate’s squad for the forthcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Bulgaria.
Tammy Abraham, Fikayo Tomori, Mason Mount and Ross Barkley are all in Southgate’s party – 21 year-old Tomori for the first time.
Tomori was a member of Lampard’s Derby County squad last year, gaining invaluable experience in the Championship before returning to Chelsea from his loan spell last summer.
He has quickly carved out a first-team role at the Blues – leading to his maiden England call-up – and Lampard couldn’t hide his delight.
“He deserves it because he’s been a dream to work with, day in and day out for the last 15 months or so,” Lampard said.
Watch Lampard share his full thoughts on Tomori’s call-up in the video above.
Champions Manchester City will be without Kevin De Bruyne for Sunday’s Premier League clash with Wolves due to a groin problem.
The playmaker suffered the injury in the latter stages of last week’s victory at Everton and also missed Tuesday’s clash with Dinamo Zagreb, but the issue is not thought to be too serious.
Defenders John Stones (thigh) and Aymeric Laporte (knee) also remain on the sidelines along with winger Leroy Sane (knee).
Diogo Jota remains a major injury doubt for Wolves. The Portuguese forward – a key player for Wanderers – has been nursing a foot problem recently that caused him to miss the 2-0 win over Watford and the Europa League victory against Besiktas on Thursday.
Jota did not travel to Istanbul as Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo opted to leave him in England to receive treatment in the hope that he would recover in time to be involved against City.
However, Nuno provided an update on the 22-year-old’s progress on Friday and it sounds unlikely that he will be available.
Manchester City provisional squad: Ederson, Bravo, Walker, Cancelo, Otamendi, Fernandinho, Garcia, Zinchenko, Angelino, Mendy, Gundogan, Rodri, D Silva, B Silva, Sterling, Mahrez, Foden, Aguero, Jesus.
Wolves provisional squad: Patricio, Doherty, Boly, Coady, Saiss, Jonny, Dendoncker, Moutinho, Traore, Jota, Jimenez, Neves, Cutrone, Neto, Ruddy, Vallejo, Vinagre, Gibbs-White.
Provided by Press Association Sport