Former Liverpool forward Luis Garcia is quite positive about Jurgen Klopp’s team challenging for the top spot in the upcoming Premier League season.
The Reds having come fourth in last year’s campaign despite posing a threat eventual champions Chelsea at one stage, will be looking to go all the way in 2017-18. What’s more is that having reached top-four, finishing just above Arsenal, they will be competing in the Champions League as well.
And speaking in an interview after the Star Sixes tournament in London, Garcia spoke about how Liverpool can be genuine contenders for the Premier League title thanks to signings like Mohamed Salah from Roma.
Meanwhile, Garcia, an ex-Spain international was also impressed by Spain’s Under-21s in the Euros that were held in Poland. He said he is excited about the prospects of young talent reaching the national team, and the next World Cup in 2018 is where they might come center stage.
Chelsea moved to bolster their backline this week by completing the £34million capture of Antonio Rudiger from Roma.
The 24-year-old Germany international is far from the finished article but his versatility combined with boss Antonio Conte’s ability to nurture potential means he could turn out to be a masterstroke for the Premier League champions.
Conte has been desperate to reinforce his defence and with Rudiger on board, the Italian can now turn his attentions to further up the pitch with the striking department a particular area for improvement.
And former Chelsea defender Marcel Desailly has had his say on Diego Costa’s future while also talking up possible replacement for him in the form of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and offering his view on the signing of Rudiger.
Check out the video above to hear from Desailly after he competed in the Star Sixes tournament at the 02 Arena, London on Thursday.
Monaco’s Colombian striker Radamel Falcao, suspected of tax evasion in Spain, has paid 8.2 million euros ($9.3 million) to Spanish tax authorities, judicial sources told AFP on Thursday.
Falcao is suspected of failing to correctly declare 5.6 million euros of income earned from image rights between 2012 and 2013 while he was at Atletico Madrid.
The 31-year-old will be able to reclaim the sum if he is eventually cleared, the source told AFP of the payment which includes interest on the original amount.
He is suspected of using a web of shell companies in the British Virgin Islands, Ireland, Colombia and Panama to avoid taxes on income from image rights.
Falcao has not denied the existence of these companies but has said he had nothing to pay for 2013, arguing that he was no longer resident in Spain and so no longer owed any tax there.
He has been accused of moving his tax residence to Monaco in order to escape the attentions of the Spanish taxman, before completing his transfer to the principality club in May of that year.