Trinidad and Tobago's Nakhid on FIFA presidential candidacy

fahad 19/10/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Former Trinidad and Tobago captain David Nakhid, who last week submitted his candidacy to FIFA to stand in February's emergency presidential election, said that he is confident he stands a realistic chance of becoming the next president of football's governing body.








Recommended


Most popular

Related Sections

Former Tottenham defender Ramon Vega could stand for Fifa presidency

Sport360 staff 19/10/2015
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Vega meets with former Valencia star Gaizka Mendieta at Soccerex in Manchester last month.

Former Tottenham, Celtic and Watford defender Ramon Vega is considering running as a candidate to become the next Fifa president.

The 44-year-old, who currently manages Vega Swiss Asset Management and accounts for around $2 billion of investor funds, has worked in banking and business since his retirement from the game in 2004.

– VEGA: Former Spurs star taking lessons from football into boardroom

– #360debate: Is Ronaldo Real's best player ever?
– #360Fans: Watch Manchester derby at City Fanzone

– RATE, WIN, SHARE: With Sport360 and ValoraFutbol

"I come without baggage and I have substantial experience from both football and in finance," Vega is reported as saying by BBC Sport in response to a question over his Fifa ambitions.

Fifa's executive committee is due to meet on Tuesday and hold talks on whether to postpone next year's presidential election race.

Most popular

Related Sections

Shabab’s draw against Jazira shows they still punch above their weight

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Catch me if you can: Al Shabab playmaker Carlos Villanueva.

Al Shabab can come away with a sense of pride after the Arabian Gulf League’s resident overachievers defied big-spending Al Jazira, according to playmaker Carlos Villanueva.

The Hawks held the hotly-tipped hosts at Mohammed bin Zayed to a goalless top-flight draw on Friday. Their opponents boasted a lavishly-assembled squad which contained the likes of Peru forward Jefferson Farfan and 2014-15 top scorer Mirko Vucinic.

– AGL: Nasr and Wahda play out ill tempered draw

– AGL: Happy camp key to Al Wahda improvement
– AGL: Victory sees Bani Yas soar to top of the table

– RATE, SHARE, WIN: With Sport360 ValoraFutbol

Yet, Caio Junior’s underdogs showed last term’s third-place finish was no fluke with a controlled display.

Villanueva, 29, has only finished lower than fifth once in six seasons at Shabab despite their modest budget and he hailed the “fighters on the field” who continue to drive the club forwards.

“Al Jazira is a big team,” the former Blackburn Rovers-loanee said. “Always, their target is to fight for the title.

“I think we played a good game, creating many chances. We could have deserved more [than a draw], but at the same time they had clear chances as well.

”I do not like to speak about other teams, but I think everybody expects a lot from them [Jazira]. One thing is this [result] makes us proud as we do not spend the same money as the others every summer.

“But we are always there, always fighting. Nobody comes against us and beats us easily.

“This is something which is very good, that others talk about us as fighters on the field.”

Shabab brought in Brazil striker Jo as a replacement for misfiring compatriot Edgar Bruno this summer in a bid to add more firepower. The former Manchester City-man has six goals in eight appearances and Villanueva has been impressed with what he has seen.

He said: “Jo is an amazing player, he is helping us a lot.

“We are doing a good job with him. He is adapting to the league.

“It is not easy to come to the AGL, many things are different such as the weather and style of football.

“He is doing very well and it is very nice for us to play next to him.”

Coach Caio has overseen a steady start to his second season in the Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Stadium-hot seat, remaining undefeated during eight games in all competitions.

But three low-scoring draws in a row have been recorded in the AGL to check their progress, a statistic which frustrates Villanueva.

“We always try to fight for the title,” the 13-times-capped Chile international said. “Why not? We have to dream about it.

“Now we have three draws, which is not very good. We will try to fight for all the tournaments.

“If we do not get anything, it will be a very bad season.”

Shabab are next in action on Friday when they host top-flight champions Al Ain.

Most popular