India's Anirban Lahiri shot a four under par final round of 68 to win the Malaysian Open by a stroke over Bernd Wiesberger of Austria in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday.
Know more about Sport360 Application
India’s Anirban Lahiri reeled off four birdies in his first five holes and held on down the stretch for a one-stroke victory over Bernd Wiesberger to take his first European Tour title by winning the Malaysian Open Sunday.
Lahiri had vaulted into contention the day before with a tournament-low ten-under 62, and followed up with a final-round 68 for the win.
Lahiri began the day five strokes behind third-round leader Wiesberger, who had shot to the top of the boards Saturday with a European Tour personal-best nine-under 63 at the tricky Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club.
But on the par-five fifth hole Sunday, Wiesberger chunked his third shot into a water hazard for a costly double bogey, opening the door for Lahiri.
The Indian charged through with his early birdie blitz. Despite a couple of later bogeys, he fended off the faltering Wiesberger, who suffered three bogeys on the back nine to card a two-over 74 for the day
England’s Paul Waring and the second round co-leader Spain’s Alejandro Canizares finished two strokes behind Wiesberger in a tie for third on a breezy yet scorching day.
England’s Lee Westwood had held the co-lead after each of the first two days and remained in the hunt when the final round started.
— Anirban Lahiri (@anirbangolf) February 8, 2015
But his chances of defending the title he won last year crumbled as he posted a disappointing 75 to end in a four-way tie for fifth, five strokes back of Lahiri.
Westwood, who has won the tournament twice and seems to play some of his best golf in Asia, is notably comfortable with the Malaysian Open course’s undulating fairways.
But after a strong start, his birdie count dropped each day while several other golfers seemed to get hotter.
Hank Haney has branded Tiger Woods’ latest comeback as an “epic failure” following the 14-time major winner’s withdrawal from the Farmers Insurance Open.
– Tiger Woods decline becoming as compelling as his rise to greatness
– McIlroy settles multi-million pound case with former management firm
– Joy of Golf: Woods wilts, McIlroy stays focused & Lydia Ko is top lady
Woods pulled out during Thursday’s opening round on the 12th hole at Torrey Pines citing back problems, the latest in a long line of injury issues to have engulfed the former world No1.
The withdrawal came just under a week after Woods shot a career-worst 82 at the Phoenix Open and his former swing coach Haney believes the 39-year-old needs to go back to the drawing board in terms of modifying his swing.
“His No1 priority should be making a swing where he doesn’t hurt himself, and I thought that’s what this whole bio-mechanical thing was going to be all about,” Haney told Sirius XM PGA Tour Radio.
I don’t agree w that @Dielawn_: clearly it’s 100% mental with Tiger’s struggles, right?
— Hank Haney (@HankDHaney) February 5, 2015
“He was going to make a swing that didn’t hurt him. So this obviously has been an epic failure, when you look at the amount of time that he’s been working and he’s already hurt again.”
Woods’ long-term future in the game remains uncertain with the Masters just over two months away.
The common-held belief has always been that Woods is desperate to try and top Jack Nicklaus’ major haul of 18 but Haney insists, during his six years with the American, he never gave that impression.
“He said, ‘If my career ended today, I’d be happy with what I’ve done’,” Haney added. “This thing that the media has drum up, that Tiger’s No1 goal… is to beat Jack Nicklaus’ record… I never got that feeling. Never, never did I get that.”