Video: Emotional Juventus coach Max Allegri reveals club decided he would not be coach next season

Sport360 staff 19/05/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Massimiliano Allegri said it was Juventus who decided he would not coach the club next season, despite leading them to a record-extending eighth straight Serie A title.

At a news conference on Saturday, Allegri said that he exchanged ideas at a meeting with the club directors and “the club decided that the coach would not be me anymore”.

Allegri had tears in his eyes as he looked at the Juventus players, who were all sat in the front rows ahead of the Bianconeri’s home game with Atalanta on Sunday.

“Lads this is not good, you make me emotional like this. No I won’t cry now, I cried enough yesterday. That was enough,” said Allegri.


“We talked, we discussed and we shared our ideas. I expressed my thoughts about Juventus’ future, for Juventus’ good, for what I think. Then the club rightfully decided that the coach would not be me next season. But this doesn’t change my relationship with president (Andrea) Agnelli, with (Juventus chief football officer) Fabio Paratici and with (Juventus vice-president) Pavel Nedved.”








Allegri has won 11 trophies with Juve since replacing Antonio Conte in 2014, and led the team to two Champions League finals.


But the club hierarchy appear frustrated by not being able to win the top European trophy under Allegri — especially after signing Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid last summer.


Recommended


Most popular

Massimiliano Allegri confident he leaves Juventus with a team capable of winning the Champions League

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn

Massimiliano Allegri feels he will leave Juventus with the potential to go on and win the Champions League after it was announced he would step down as head coach at the end of the season.

The 51-year-old has been in charge of the Turin club since joining from fellow Serie A heavyweights AC Milan in 2014, and won the league title in each of his five seasons in charge.

However, despite domestic dominance, which also included four Coppa Italia titles, Allegri could not deliver European success, losing two Champions League finals – against Barcelona in 2015 and Real Madrid in 2017.

Even the arrival of star signing Cristiano Ronaldo last summer, for a fee reported to be 100million euros (£90m) could not push Allegri’s side on, eventually coming up short against Ajax in this season’s quarter-final.

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli sat alongside Allegri for Saturday’s press conference at the Allianz Stadium in what was an emotional occasion, with first-team players also in attendance.

Allegri, whose contract had been set to run through to June 2020, was presented with a commemorative shirt by Agnelli which had on the back “History Alone” above the number five.

The former Cagliari boss, clearly moved by Agnelli’s speech in tribute to the club’s out-going head coach, is in no doubt Juventus can continue to grow following his departure.

“I leave a winning team which has the potential to repeat its achievements in Italy and have another great Champions League campaign. Unfortunately, some situations meant we couldn’t go all the way (during my time),” said Allegri, who will take charge of his final home league match against Atalanta on Sunday.

“We talked, expressed our ideas on what was best for Juventus and the future of Juventus. After that, the club evaluated it and decided it was best that I wouldn’t be the coach of Juventus next season.

“I leave behind a solid group with extraordinary players, both technically and as men, because you need good men to win as well as good footballers.”

Agnelli maintained he would not make any comment on the next Juventus head coach, with both former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte and Tottenham’s Mauricio Pochettino having been swiftly linked with the vacancy.

“We must be able to make the right decision and make them in the right moment. Only the future will tell us if these decisions are the right ones,” said the Juventus president, adding that this had been the most difficult choice to make.

“When this team comes together in July, it will begin with the objective of winning, both in Italy and in Europe.”

There had been reports of a growing rift between the head coach and vice-president Pavel Nedved over the future direction of the team. Allegri, though, stressed the parting was amicable.

“Some things were written that were not correct, suggesting I asked for a long contract, for a squad revolution and different players, but we never got to that,” Allegri said.

“We simply realised it was best not to continue together. It was far more simple than you seem to think.

“We had five extraordinary years together and must be proud of that, but enough, because tomorrow we have to celebrate. All the rest is chatter.

“Juventus will start next season with a super club and an extraordinary squad.”

Allegri had been linked with a move to the English Premier League, but for now, does not intend to make any quick decisions.

“Maybe I need a little rest too, but perhaps after July 15 I might inevitably feel the desire to get back to work and I will evaluate the situations that are proposed,” he said.

“Otherwise, I will have a year to dedicate myself to my family and my friends. We will see.”

In-form Atalanta travel to Juve having climbed up to fourth spot in Serie A on the back of an unbeaten 11-game run which has included eight victories.

Atalanta did suffer their first defeat since February on Wednesday when they were beaten 2-0 by Lazio in the Coppa Italia final, but Gian Piero Gasperini is hoping for a better outcome this weekend.

He told a press conference, as reported by his club’s website: “Tomorrow will be a very difficult task, at the home of Juventus who have won the championship, and with a party in progress.

“But if we could get something then we would be mathematically certain that with a victory on the final day we would be in the Champions League.”

Most popular

Mauricio Pochettino and Pep Guardiola among candidates for Juventus job

Sport360 staff 18/05/2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • Mail
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • G+
  • WhatsApp
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino

Massimiliano Allegri will leave his position as Juventus head coach at the end of the season.

The 51-year-old, who has won the Serie A title during each of his five years in charge, had a year remaining on the contract extension he signed in 2017 but he will not see it out as the Bianconeri continue in a different direction.

Here, we look at the contenders to replace Allegri at the Italian giants.

Antonio Conte

BeFunky-collage (79)

The former Bianconeri boss is the early favourite to make a return to Turin, having managed the club between 2011 and 2014. Conte delivered the Serie A title in each of his three seasons in charge of Juventus, winning the league with a record points total of 102 during the 2013-14 campaign. An icon as a player in the black and white stripes between 1991 and 2004, the 49-year-old knows the club inside-out and would be a popular choice among most supporters. Conte won the Premier League at the first time of asking with Chelsea and followed that up with an FA Cup success the next season, so he has proved himself to be a serial winner. He will be refreshed and refocused almost a year after leaving the Blues.

Mauricio Pochettino

BeFunky-collage (82)

The Tottenham manager’s name is linked with every big job these days as his stock continues to rise – and it could reach an all-time high should Spurs win the Champions League next month. After eight years of domestic dominance, Juventus crave another European crown and this season’s quarter-final exit against Ajax in the Champions League was a huge disappointment after signing Cristiano Ronaldo last summer for a fee reported to be €100 million. Pochettino has claimed he could leave Spurs if they won European club football’s biggest prize on June 1, although he did sign a new five-year contract last year. The Argentinian plays bright, attacking football and throughout his career has blooded young players but the fact he has not won a major trophy – yet – may work against him.

Didier Deschamps

BeFunky-collage (78)

Like Conte, another former Juventus midfielder and manager. Deschamps’ spell in charge of the club was short-lived but during his season at the helm he won the Serie B title and got the club promoted back to the top flight, following its demotion for match-fixing. The 50-year-old might not have been the most stylish of players, but his France team which won last year’s World Cup had it in spades. Deschamps also has club experience at Monaco and Marseille, but could he be tempted away from the France national team where he has a contract until 2020?

Pep Guardiola

BeFunky-collage (77)

There has been a lot of speculation about the future of the Manchester City boss of late, despite his current contract running up until 2021. Guardiola has thrived in Spain, Germany and England, where his Premier League champions have the opportunity to complete an historic domestic treble in the FA Cup final on Saturday – having won the League Cup in February. With that in mind, Italy could be the next logical step in his career. Guardiola failed to win the Champions League at Bayern Munich and has yet to deliver it at Manchester City, with his last success in the competition coming with Barcelona in 2011.

Laurent Blanc

BeFunky-collage (81)

The former France international and manager, a no-nonsense centre-back in his playing days, guided Bordeaux to an unlikely second-placed finish in his first managerial job before claiming the Ligue 1 title the following year after setting a then competition record of 11 straight victories. Blanc became France manager in 2010 and lost to eventual 2012 European Championship winners Spain at the quarter-final stage before stepping down after the tournament. Paris Saint-Germain followed, where he won 11 trophies in three seasons before he left in 2016. The 53-year-old has not managed since.

Most popular