How much can you bench in the gym?
Even though it’s one of about 100 exercises you can do when you’re working out, the bench press is crucial to building a strong upper body.
One thing to understand when doing this exercise is that, not only does it work on the chest, but also helps develop muscles in the shoulders and arms.
Here’s a few tips that can help your bench press.
1. Keep a tight grip on the bar at all times. This will help to give your arms, shoulders and chest maximum strength.
2. Your elbows should be kept by your sides at approximately 45 degrees.
3. Always take a deep breath when you are dropping the bar on to your chest, and exhale when you are lifting up.
4. Drop the bar down to your chest slowly and explode up.
5. Keep your chest up through the movement and drive the shoulders.
6. Don’t underestimate the value of your feet during the lift. Your leg drive will help put your back in a nice arch and strengthen your technique.